Farewell Buenos Aires

By 1947 Argentina barely reached 16 million total population. No way there were 15 million immigrants.

So a post saying "farewell" to Argentina morphed first into a thread about Italian food and now about immigration in the early 20th century. Farewell OP --- I won't be far behind you...leaving after eight and a half years.

Surfing - what made you decide to leave? Wishing you nothing but the best, wherever your journey is taking you!

I am so glad that you agree , and can close this debate.

Little cold in Italy though isn't it ?

I can't believe people are complaining about the food and saying people don't know how to cook. Most Argentines (and granted, I have become a real insider to this culture due to the fact that my wife is Argentine) really take the time to cook and cook well. My wife and mother-in-law's cooking is absolutely incredible. Yes, if you have a yearning for spicy food, then the food in Argentina is not for you. But they can really make some fantastic dishes here with lots of flavor, and people really take the time to cook complex dishes often. Food is a major topic here of discussion and cooking shows are extremely popular. It sounds like to me that some of you have been going to the wrong places to eat. Although it's true that there is no good Chinese and other such food, and in BA there is not much seafood, there are places to buy incredible food, too. The pasta factory down the street makes fresh pasta every single day, and if you just go down and buy some raviolis and make yourself a nice sauce, you've got an incredible meal. One thing that I see is lacking are desserts. Desserts in Argentina are for the most part terrible (unless you really crave dulce de leche, and I hate dulce de leche).

Argentines, like Italians, are really picky about food and not open to trying new dishes from other cultures (a generalization, everyone is different). They also might try something and say, 'hey, it's good', and then proceed to never eat it again. This is a culture that loves tradition and familiarity, and for that reason, there's not a lot of variety. Italians can be like this, though, as well.

I can't believe people are complaining about the food and saying people don't know how to cook. [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Most Argentines (and granted, I have become a real insider to this culture due to the fact that my wife is Argentine) really take the time to cook and cook well.[/background]

the-twilight-zone.jpg

An update: I am now in Italy.
Buenos Aires pizza is NOTHING like Italian pizza.
Fact.
End of story.
Done.

Fact? Why is it that some people just cannot accept other opinions? If some people like the pizza in BA more, let them do it!
What is so difficult with that?

Whereas I love Italian food, I also had in Italy the worst pizza of my life (worse than in India).

Back