Farewell Buenos Aires

majortungsten

Registered
Hello,
I wanted to take this opportunity to publicly air the fact that, after 18 months in the city, I am finally returning to the cold, refreshing, storm battered shores of the UK.
And not a moment to soon, if I believe all the gossip here...

Here is what I will miss:
1. Cheap plonk (although I am moving to Italy in January, so not for long)
2. Beautiful women (as much as I love Wales, there are salty sea-hags abound)
3. Empanadas (for om-nom-nom goodness and 2:30am munchies)

Here is what I won't miss:
1. Buenos Aires

That about sums it up.

I love Argentina and its beautiful landscapes, its flora and fauna, and its amazing food (STEAK!!).

But the sooner Buenos Aires breaks off from the mainland and floats off into the Atlantic, the sooner Argentina can get rid of the stinking corruption and become the country it was supposed to be.

And I know that will upset some people.
But I don't care.
I'm leaving.

Cheerio :D

Don't you hate it when a silly expat lives in a country for 1 or 2 years and suddenly thinks he holds the truth to what that country should do to be a better place?
Or when a silly local decides that his place is the best even though he has an under-educated, insane head of state. Or an inflation rate that is way different from the "official" rate. Whatever that is. Or when court corruption allows a group of perverts to go free because they have some money. Or when people are allowed to riot freely because their football team didn't do so well. Or the fact that it is ok to call a strike whenever you want on the trains/subte/city and fuck everyone else even though they may have to go to a hospital to save someone's life?

I'd take Italy over Buenos Aires. Seems like a no brainer. No need to dish on Buenos Aires though.

Buenos Aires (Argentina) is Italy. I lived in Rome for three years. Nothing works there, either - economics, politics nor infrastructure. But the food is awesome and the women are beautiful. Sounds so familiar.

Between the first and second world wars there were 15 million Italian immigrants who came to Argentina. There are 40 million Argentines today. The math is pretty clear.

Buenos Aires (Argentina) is Italy. I lived in Rome for three years. Nothing works there, either - economics, politics nor infrastructure. But the food is awesome and the women are beautiful. Sounds so familiar.

Since you lived in both places, would you say that the Argentine version of Italian food is very close tot he real deal?

My father was born in Italy. I still have our family home ,it has been in the family for over 130 years. I have lived there and visit often. Argentina is like a colony of Italy. My wife's thesis was on Italian immigration to Argentina. The food is better in Italy , the women just as beautiful. The difference is that Italy has come up to modern world standard's as a member of the EU. Argentina has no such ambitions. Sure there is still a lot of hassles to getting things done there. The law in Argentina is written on Italian law. As is the way they do most things.

GS , you are right about the politics and economics , but the infrastructure is not so bad.

But the food , is by far better than any attempt here in Bs As.

My father was born in Italy. I still have our family home ,it has been in the family for over 130 years. I have lived there and visit often. Argentina is like a colony of Italy. My wife's thesis was on Italian immigration to Argentina. The food is better in Italy , the women just as beautiful. The difference is that Italy has come up to modern world standard's as a member of the EU. Argentina has no such ambitions. Sure there is still a lot of hassles to getting things done there. The law in Argentina is written on Italian law. As is the way they do most things.

GS , you are right about the politics and economics , but the infrastructure is not so bad.

But the food , is by far better than any attempt here in Bs As.
About the food so so, depending the place, is all about where you eat, infrastructure i would say that Buenos Aires have better Infrastructure than Roma, Roma have only 2 very bad lines of Metro that cross the city as and X, and you never have them on hand to travel and the Bus system have less frequency, lines and is much more expensive than in Buenos Aires. Overall i would say Buenos Aires have better Infrastructure than Rome, if you talk about all the country then yes, Italy have more high ways and better train system much better (when they are not in strike, I lost 2 flights because of that and I was thinking fuck I went out of Argentina and the same happen in this country), but of course they are almost 60 million habitant concentrated in a small country so is more easy to put profitable trains and high ways in there than to do the same in Argentina. I think both country’s for good and bad are very similar with different start point and situations.

Back