Farmer's Strike resumes and this time it will get worse..

"Mike1" said:
I guess they're shutting her up because if she speaks, she'll piss more people off. =D
That's a great idea, maybe someone could pass that on to the Bush adminstration?

How long before there isn't enough nafta for the taxis to drive tourists and business travelers to and from Eziza...at any price?

"steveinbsas" said:
How long before there isn't enough nafta for the taxis to drive tourists and business travelers to and from Eziza...at any price?
That won´t happen because most cabs run on natural compressed gas and not regular gas. I think it is great to analize what is going on here, but one should be careful not to scare everybody and make them think that the end is coming, especially other fellow expats that are not used to these protests and the crazy events that take place in this country, as most might get terrified.

Yes, of course, many taxis run on GNC, but how is it suppled to the service stations? If it is delivered by truck, isn't it also subject to scarcity if the ruta is blocked, or is there a large reserve within the Capital that will suffice indefinitely? I don't want to imply the end is coming, but isn't the intent of the strike to cause hardships in the capital if necessary to achieve victory?

Not to worry about GNC unless it's the winter. Gas runs through the pipelines so it should be fine. Petrol has to be moved via trucks but not gas. Last year, there was a shortage of GNC for a while because EVERYBODY had their heaters on due to the unusually cold winter.

Thanks (again), Mike. I remember the shortage last winter, but I didn't know about the pipelines. On a brighter note, I was watching Argentine TV news and hope I am correct in understanding that deliveries of milk and medicine into the capital would continue, but I have no idea if there has been any other "progress" towards a resolution. Can anyone elaborate on today's events?

I just called a porteña friend and understand that the president has now passed the matter to the Congress for resolution.

The doom and gloom merchants are already out there predicting Civil War and all ridiculuos scenarios over this.
My prediction is that it will be over in a few weeks and the economy will roar back into life very quick. Yes it has been damaging to the Kirchner government but remember that the Argentine public is forgiving and will support them again if they can create change in a positive way.

Why, Pericles, are the majority of Argentines so determinedly Peronist? To foreign eyes, Peronism seems to have brought little but rhetoric, failed policies, and increased corruption to the nation, but I've encountered few people aside from some professors and "encumbrados" who admit to being other than supporters.

Back