fastest internet in argentina

Liveinbaa

Registered
Hi All -

I work in a job where it's incredibly important for me to have the absolute highest speed internet connection possible Can anyone shed light on what that might be down here? I'll be living in Canitas, and am happy to pay a significant amount because it will be expensed. I just need to know what the fastest connection I can plug my desk-top into will be.

Thanks.

Liveinbaa said:
Hi All -

I work in a job where it's incredibly important for me to have the absolute highest speed internet connection possible Can anyone shed light on what that might be down here? I'll be living in Canitas, and am happy to pay a significant amount because it will be expensed. I just need to know what the fastest connection I can plug my desk-top into will be.

Thanks.
I would get the fibertel evolution 30megs AND the 15mega arnet plan because your problem here is not just the speed (which is a problem) but the fact that with alarming regularity, the service just cuts out and becomes unavailable. The common solution for people who NEED to have internet for work is to have two services.

I have Fibertel Evolution and it is definitely the fastest available. In the 6+ months I've had it, I've had a one-day outage and a 8 hour outage.

Also, while it is 30 Mbps that is only in Argentina. Speeds to most servers in the US top out at about 4 Mbps. Still, it seems much faster than my previous 6 Mbps service from them.

Guys, you better compare pings against a common server if you want to talk speed.
Bandwith and ping response ain't the same.
Also you better define your priorities, download or upload capability? You can also have a 50/50 connection.

PhilipDT said:
The common solution for people who NEED to have internet for work is to have two services.
This.
I don't need speed, but I need a constant connection, thus I have both Fibertel and Speedy. Although I have to admit, since I moved 4 months ago, I've only had one short outage with Fibertel and have not yet needed to swap over to Speedy.

as someone working from home in it for 20 years here...

simply put fibertel is the best internet connection you can get in bue over the long haul...fibertel evolution is the fastest.
evol is 3 meg upload 30 meg download speed real average over 20 meg download
fibertel 6 meg is really a real 2 meg upload 512 download

fibertel 2 meg is about 1 meg upload with peaks of 2 and download 512

sir speedy telefonica etc are never faster then 2 meg upload and 512 download and are more prone to downtime

good luck

which will be a good connection to have to play apple tv or similar internet tv with a device purchased from outside.

I agree with getting two connections, then get a router with load-balancing so both connections are connected at the same time and the router will make sure the best one for the job is used at any one time. That way you also won't really notice if one of the connections go down.

Note that's it's important to get two that doesn't share infrastructure (at least not nationally).

If you need better upload speed you can also look into a dedicated SDSL line from for instance telecom (2MB is ~3k pesos a month I think). This normally has a lot better latency and you are not "sharing" the available bandwidth with your neighbours so it'll probably outperform most of the the normal ADSL options.

You can also get a dedicated satellite connection though that's more expensive (10MB dedicated - ~3k dollars a month).

Cheers

"absolute highest speed internet connection" is pretty relative, what kind of speeds are you talking about?
10 Mb, 100Mb, 1Gb? symmetrical? is latency and issue?
There are companies that offer fiber downtown, not sure about caniitas or eslewhere and they expect an 18 month contract.

try:
metrotel.com.ar
iplan.com.ar

Ceviche said:
which will be a good connection to have to play apple tv or similar internet tv with a device purchased from outside.

The one thing I did notice when moving from Fibertel 6 Mbps to Evolution was that videos that were constantly buffering now work smoothly. I have both a Mac Mini hooked up to a TV and my Apple TV connected.

(One thing, if you want to play Netflix US or Hulu Plus content, change the DNS settings on your Apple TV to use tunlr.net settings.)

Back