Favorite thing about holidays abroad?

What is your favorite thing about holidays abroad?

• No family drama

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The weather- Holidays in the sun!

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Less materialism

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Lighter food, less weight to be gained

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Fireworks at midnight

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I would not know, I go home for the holidays

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other - explain in the comments!

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
The fireworks were awesome on Christmas from our terrace. I would choose that any time over the crowded 15 minutes shows for the 4th of July in the States. Can't wait to see it all again on the first.

Christmas in the U.S. is so miserable for anyone with any sort of family issue (divorce, estrangement, etc.) You cannot avoid it. Music in all the stores, commercials on TV, obnoxious decorations, and the onslaught begins the day after Halloween. Not to mention the materialism, which I personally have always opted out of. Shopping for gifts sucks that time of year. It´s a whole lot of pressure to have a perfect day with a perfect family, when for so many that is just not the reality. So I much prefer the way Argentina doesn´t do much fanfare.

I had Christmas with my boyfriend´s family in Colombia this year and other than some lights around town, traditional music that I never would have recognized on my own, and a big yummy meal with family friends, I never would have known it was Christmas. Only one person said feliz navidad! No Jesus talk, either, which was a bit surprising for me in such a Catholic country. Just a quick prayer and on with the show. No gifts, although people do do that here. Loved it.

ETA: I do love how New Year´s is just massive in the U.S. though.

Napoleon said:
For me, "the holidays" are far and away the worst thing about living here. Worse than the bank lines, worse than the grocery store lines, and worse than the pizza. ;-p

They depress the living crap out of me.

The "Thanks" button wasn't enough. I kept seeing the poll on the right side of the page and continued to think "NO none of those! Isn't there an I hate Christmas here option?" and I just got around to reading the comments to see that you shared your true feelings, and I totally agree that the holidays here are worse than bank lines, corruption, inflation, doggy poop, what have you... at least for me. I love Argentina, but MAN Christmas just doesn't come close. I try to shut my mouth and buy a ticket home, but I didn't this year and regretted it. I'm 3 - 2 Argentina - Texas on Christmases and I unfortunately don't see it evening up anytime soon! But that's that, and I at least know what to expect every year. I have to say that buying a decent sized tree and bringing some of my own ornaments from home really kicked it up a notch! And the Holiday Favorites channel on DirectTV music!!! THAT is worth the monthly bill all year round! And next year I will go to a decent church service with carols! Ok, I'm done. Christmas is over, and it's time to enjoy the city in the midst of its peace and quiet.

Back