FBI background Check and Apostille

sejamadera

Registered
Hi! I did a fingerprint FBI background check early this year and by the time it was delivered I was in Argentina. I am going back now and was wondering if I have to start the process over again and if so how can i get it apostilled and shipped to Argentina. Because every time I go to do it I always have to come back before it’s delivered. Or if it’s fine to use (I got it delivered January 2023) how can i get it apostilled and shipped to Argentina.
Thanks!!!

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take from inky fingers to the document arriving at your house? I need to do that this year. I might have the same problem... no answers for you, only more questions.

Do it through a channeling company like Monument. For some reason if you do it through the company you get your results in a few days, if you mail the fingerprints in to the FBI yourself it takes months.

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take from inky fingers to the document arriving at your house? I need to do that this year. I might have the same problem... no answers for you, only more questions.
It took almost 2 months

Getting the apostille
Hi! I did a fingerprint FBI background check early this year and by the time it was delivered I was in Argentina. I am going back now and was wondering if I have to start the process over again and if so how can i get it apostilled and shipped to Argentina. Because every time I go to do it I always have to come back before it’s delivered. Or if it’s fine to use (I got it delivered January 2023) how can i get it apostilled and shipped to Argentina.
Thanks!!!
Sounds like you'll need to get a new background check document and corresponding apostille. If you were not going back to the U.S., Migrations might be willing to take the January 2023 one if it was also properly apostilled:
  • Migrations' official policy is that the FBI background check can't be more than 90 days old when you submit it to them (meaning the date on the background check itself, not the date of the apostille) but if you arrive in Argentina while the 90-day period is still active and remain in Argentina continuously even after it lapses, they may deem the active period to be "frozen" and the document thus still valid.
  • Example: Your FBI background check document is dated January 1, meaning the 90-day validity period ends on April 1. You arrive in Argentina on March 1 (with an apostille for the background check) but you finally get your appointment with Migrations only for April 2. Migrations may deem the background check to still be valid because you have been in Argentina continuously since March 1 (so there is no way you could have committed a crime or something in the U.S. that would show up on the background check if you requested a new one).
  • At least, this is what a consular officer told me a few months ago.
If you get a new background check, you might be able to speed up the process by getting your fingerprints done at a USPS location. Some locations have fingerprinting collection and can transmit simultaneously to the FBI, and you can get your background check PDF within minutes. The service isn't free and you have to provide the confirmation code of your background check request. Here's a link to find participating USPS locations: https://ips.usps.com/IdentityCapture/

As you probably know, getting the apostille is the hardest part. During the pandemic, the State Department suspended walk-in hours, leaving mail-order the only way to get the apostille and it could take months. If walk-in hours are available again, you can either go yourself to the office in DC or pay a private service to go for you, thereby accelerating the process to potentially a few hours. I would tell you if walk-in is available again, but just tried checking the State Department website but can't get it to load for some reason.

Finally - if you ultimately need to have a document shipped here, the best approach is use DHL or some private courier service.

Has anyone gotten fingerprints taken here in Argentina? If so, do I just walk in to a comisaria? Or do I need to go to the PFA?

Back