FBI records rejected if over 60-days old?

Californian_Oh

Registered
Can anyone confirm that FBI records (with apostille) are rejected by migraciones if slightly older than 60 days (but have not been in the U.S. during that time)? Mine will probably be about 75 days old (and I have not reentered the U.S.) by the time I apply for residency and I'm hoping I won't have to redo the 3-4 month FBI process.

It seems a little crazy since the U.S. apostille takes 3 weeks to process so, after shipping time + translation + certification, you end up with a small window of only a few weeks. ("The Authentication of documents by mail currently takes about 3 weeks to process from the time of receiptin the Authentications office." From official website here)

when we were at immigration complaining about not having enough time to do it they tid us they just changed it to 60 days. I gave up after 2 times failing to get it done and am now just waiting for the interpol report to come in instead.

Damn, that is irritating: 60 days provides such a small window (ends up being like 3 weeks to apply). So they are very strict on this? I guess I'll have to redo everything and apply in 4 months . . . This time I think I'll get 4 FBI reports, each staggered by 2 weeks so I end up with a large window of time to apply.

when I spoke with migraciones and I had no problem with mine - it was at 30 days at that point b/c between waiting for a turno, translation of my documents etc. I did NOT need to have the FBI report Apostilled - as it is an official document from the governement not an individual state. Also, you will need it to be translated if it is for migraciones purposes. Also, after speaking with Migraciones, i was able to go back to the US before filing for my residency and the FBI report was still valid.

that's true, they told me I could go and come as I please. Now in my mind, I don't see how that could not effect my report, but whatever. We were at the immigration office 3 weeks ago discussing the FBI report. In Bariloche they still say it has to be apostilled and said they have several files holding for that. I think that no one knows what they are doing. Every different person tells you something different.

I recently went through the residency process. They had no problem with my FBI records and they were quite a bit over 60 days. With this stuff I feel like it depends on your luck.

FWIW, I have the following in writing from migraciones (in July of this year):

Buenos días le informamos que los ANTECEDENTES PENALES de su país de origen no se vencen, siempre que ingrese con posterioridad a su país de origen.

Loose translation: We advise you that the criminal record from your country does not expire, as long as you do not subsequently enter your country of origin.

I imagine that coming armed with such an email might help things.

Back