Fear of meeting

The problem isn't you, or me, or Dougie or even Sencillamente, we all believe we're too smart to spend a few hours at an outdoor bar screaming in each other's faces, but with Delta, what if the guy who delivers your water or the girl you passed while she was restocking the shelves in your supermarket was doing just that the night before?
The risk is always there. But I mitigate it, if somebody does invite for an (outdoor) coffee, by wearing the mask other than those moments when the brew is on its way from the table to the mouth. I don't invite, but, depending on the circumstances, do accept invites. The greatest risk to myself I have felt from the very start has not been the physical health risk, but rather the risk to my long-term future mental well-being if were I to fall into the temptation of returning to normal too quickly and doing exactly what the couple here in BsAs I mentioned in the sad story above did: invite someone only to then subsequently discover that I had infected and possibly killed them. The stakes are that high. If we inadvertently infect someone in a supermarket, we will never know. If we infect someone we do know, we will very likely discover it. Even if they survive, that knowledge alone is a burden to carry.

Well, this is exactly the problem, isn't it? I hope I can put this out here, without prescribing a solution, and hopefully without some twit imagining me to be a Kirchnerite crank or whatever the insult of the day might be. The problem isn't you, or me, or Dougie or even Sencillamente, we all believe we're too smart to spend a few hours at an outdoor bar screaming in each other's faces, but with Delta, what if the guy who delivers your water or the girl you passed while she was restocking the shelves in your supermarket was doing just that the night before?

I laughed at the human dog-whistle Bullrich who claimed she caught covid at her Chinese supermarket, when it was clear she had done so organizing anti-lockdown demos, but with Delta the calculus has changed, hasn't it?

I respect everyone's choices and risk assessment.

If someone restocking the shelves was at a big party a few nights before and picked up covid, we'd both be indoors with masks on and covid rarely passes via surfaces.

It's important to be smart and vigilant about the threat, but we shouldn't overstate how it passes. Outdoor transmission is extremely low, surface transmission is low too. - https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00251-4

Post Script - Bullrich is a clown.

Well, I was afraid about Covid 19 because on 2009 I was living in NYC and I got the H1N1-2009 and I almost die so I know how it really is.
However, after I got vaccinated I felt a little but more relaxed but, because I was less careful I got a flu confirmed by the negative PCR of Covid. I was never so happy of getting a flu.

Is that like this one?

Lord, to think that man was President. Biden may be senile, but Dubya was a straight up idiot.

As far as the corona, color me skeptical. I take the precautions, and I am as careful as can be, but I am also highly dubious that we have been told anything like the truth about this virus, or its spread, or its origins. What is utterly indisputable is that the billionaires have gotten even richer, while the rest of us have had our lives turned upside-down.

Pandemic or Plandemic, you decide.

If someone restocking the shelves was at a big party a few nights before and picked up covid, we'd both be indoors with masks on and covid rarely passes via surfaces.

It's important to be smart and vigilant about the threat, but we shouldn't overstate how it passes. Outdoor transmission is extremely low, surface transmission is low too. - https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00251-4
I believe you put your finger on the particular problem that makes COVID so transmissible: you can transmit the virus before you show symptoms. So the shelf restocker wouldn't even know she was infected when you pass her by in the supermarket aisle.

It's difficult to assess risk in those circumstances, and anyone claiming to have avoided the virus by good judgement needs to bear in mind that correlation isn't the same as causation, we may have been simply lucky, and what's more, strategies that worked for us last year may not work now.

I agree that everyone is entitled to their choices. I personally have not let covid slow me down. I traveled internationally more during the initial year of covid (after 3 month lockdown) than any other year of my life. Around 14 different countries last year before and after lockdown.

I dont fear catching covid. But I just follow the rules of the location that I am in. Some places were strict and others didn't care at all. I personally don't care to slow my life down to a crawl, but I will respect others decisions and wear a mask if it is mandated.

I don't know about social life in BA these days, but I was in Disneyland yesterday and it was packed. They save 50% capacity but I rubbed elbows with people everywhere, and at fireworks time, there was not an empty inch anywhere. Masks? Every now and then saw one. Viva la joda en California!

I don't know about social life in BA these days, but I was in Disneyland yesterday and it was packed. They save 50% capacity but I rubbed elbows with people everywhere, and at fireworks time, there was not an empty inch anywhere. Masks? Every now and then saw one. Viva la joda en California!

From what I have read California is on the verge of a mask mandate.

Back