Feelings Of Safety And Security (Crime In Argentina)

Argentina racist? I don't think so.

First, racist should be defined:
- is it the number of crimes related to the origin, ethnicity, religion, etc.? -> Argentina is not a very racist country based on this criteria
- is it a linguistic issue (you're Asian then you're Chino, etc.)? -> tricky one but no, Argentines are not politically correct: you are fat then you are Gordo, skinny then you are Flaco, etc. You can check the readers comments in Clarin & such as well, they are very direct & aggressive into some aspects.

Main problem of racism here, the middle class (chetos) & up against the villeros. Quite odd actually when you hear someone from Spanish or Italian descent tell something like "those negros should be sent back to their countries". Can be explained further though.

Says the white man ;) I'm pretty sure if you asked your average Paraguagyan or Bollivian worker, they might tell you otherwise.

As for the rest, yes the media hypes up the problems that do happen. Yes, the gov't statistics are meaningless. And yes, there will never be a consensus on whether BsAs is safe or not. Everyone will default to his/her personal experience.

I could share mine but it's probably meaningless in the big picture. I will say a few years ago, someone started a poll on here to address this and IIRC, approximately 50% of posters had been the victim (or attempted victim) of some type of crime.

First, racist should be defined:
- is it the number of crimes related to the origin, ethnicity, religion, etc.? -> Argentina is not a very racist country based on this criteria
- is it a linguistic issue (you're Asian then you're Chino, etc.)? -> tricky one but no, Argentines are not politically correct: you are fat then you are Gordo, skinny then you are Flaco, etc. You can check the readers comments in Clarin & such as well, they are very direct & aggressive into some aspects.

Main problem of racism here, the middle class (chetos) & up against the villeros. Quite odd actually when you hear someone from Spanish or Italian descent tell something like "those negros should be sent back to their countries". Can be explained further though.

It's fiction, of course, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivia_%28film%29

UK stats also are greatly deformed, since in that country they only consider the crimes that had been RESOLVED AND WITH A FIRM SENTENCE. NEITHER RAPES OR CRIMES COMMITED BY MINORS ARE INCLUDED IN THEIR STATS EITHER.

Eh? Are you talking about stats relating to convictions, reported crime or victimisation studies? The UK has a number of different data sets available.

Problem is, the average person doesn't have a clue how to interrogate the data or understand the statistics

According to statistics the average Brit has one breast and one testicle. Discuss...

Speaking of safety and security......

Woman is robbed on camera while doing an interview to a TV station on the topic of the rising crime in Rio. This World Cup will be amazing......

this crap is fixed up

Back