Feta Cheese

CharlotteD

Registered
Hello fellow ex-pats!

I moved to Buenos Aires about a month ago, and I've really enjoyed living here thus far. I've been able to find adequate substitutes and alternatives for most of the things I miss from home, with one exeption: cheese.

I've searched all over for some feta, my absolute favorite cheese, but to no avail. I've checked the several chain grocery stores, many local supermercados, even a few specialty meat and cheese stores. I would have given up by now, but I saw feta on a restaurant menu in San Telmo a few weeks ago, so I know it exists here!

Has anybody found feta here? And if so, could you let me know where I could conseguir some? I would be ever so grateful!

Thanks!

I really miss feta cheese too! I've seen it occasionally at Carrefour, but I haven't tried it. I tried some brie made by the same brand once, and it was pretty bad. It's expensive, so I haven't given the feta a shot.

There is a specialty store in Palermo (corner of Malabia and Charcas I think) that sells gourmet products. Their guacamole and humus are very good, so the feta there might be worth a try. I'll let you know if I end up trying it.

There's this co-op type of market on Bonpland around Gorriti... a group of small vendors selling their locally-produced (often organic) vegetables, pasta sauces, wines, preserves, etc. I bought some great fresh goat cheese there, of which they had several varieties. I can't remember if they had white cheese/feta, but if you're in the area, might be worth popping in to check.

Some of the arabic confiterias have both feta and goat cheese. Try Damasco on Scalabrini Ortiz 1283 (a block+ down towards Santa Fe from Cordoba). :)

Both jumbo and carrefour carry imported feta cubes in plastic packs and submerged in either olive oil and olives, or olive oli and herbs. in the cheese section. Having said that, they don't always have it, so I stock up when they do. they usually restock every month. there are also some very nasty feta goat cubes in jars. for me they were disgusting. the good stuff is called "apetnina" and i'm trying to attach photo. not sure this will work lol.

Attachments

• apetina feta.jpg
    apetina feta.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 18
You can get Feta cheese at Damasco on Scalabrini Otriz (between Cabrera and Cordoba) - an Armenian Deli.

both damasco and armenia on scalabrini ortiz, most likely also bodega amparo on paraguay betw godoy cruz and juan b. justo. when you come from palermo soho you pass a huge construction site on your left, on paraguay, go in there right before you cross the railroad tracks. (don't cross the tracks.) they have food and spices products from all over the world plus wonderful cheeses (incl. a real, soft, goat cheese!) i am sure they have feta. (not to mention their fantastic wine selection, with huge discounts!)

btw if often find their prices lower than in barrio chino.

We get Fetta from Alejo at contacts below. It's pretty good. Runs a little place from his garage in FLorida, Vicente Lopez. Tell him Luciana and SImon sent you. He has some other things as well that he gets in from around Argentina.

15 4027 9144
[email protected]

I miss feta too! I have found blocks of it at Valenti, but I really miss the fresh, crumbly kind. Has anyone found that anywhere?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am so relieved to know I won't have to go without my beloved feta. I haven't actually gone out to get it yet, but maybe I'll do a sampling of feta from different stores and report back with my results! :)

Back