Feta Cheese

Alright, the feta tasting is complete, and I believe I have found a winner! I didn't try all of the suggestions: I couldn't find any apetina at Carrefour (maybe they're out because it's so late in the month?) and I didn't make it to the co-op on Bonpland or the vendor on Florida, but I might try to check them out when I run out of my large stocks of feta.

I did go to Damasco, Bodega Amparo, and A Manger, the specialty foods shop on the corner Malabia and Charcas. The feta from Damasco and Bodega Amparo tasted pretty similar to me -- they're both goat's cheese feta, and they're softer cheeses, but they don't crumble like the feta I'm used to. I much preferred the feta I bought at A Manger. It was a cow's milk feta, but I thought it was more flavorful and it crumbled much more easily (which I like, because I typically eat feta on salads or crumbled up in pasta).

All of the feta was expensive, but at A Manger they offered to cut it into smaller pieces, so I was able to get about 1/4 kg for a reasonable price. The feta at the other stores was prepackaged, and I think slightly more expensive -- at A Manger it was around 95 pesos/kg and at Amparo it was 112/kg.

Back