Few Questions

nesika

Registered
Hola :)

My husband and I are digital nomads in mid fifties and decided to spend a 3 months in lovely BA!

After living all our lives in Europe, US and Canada it feels little "different" here, but we love it! We feel in BA 5 years ago while visiting for the first time.

This time we rented the apartment for three months and ...we'll see ;)

First shock was no washing machine (I didn't even look while checking the apartment on the assumption that it is essential).

Second - no really good bakery :-(

Third - no soy milk :-(

Ah well ... We will live, of course, but I just wanted to ask if you can help with soy milk and bakery? Can it be found anywhere in BA?

Also, as quite a social people we would love to go some places where we can meet some English speaking people. Are there any clubs like that in BA? If not, maybe we can start one ;-)

Thank you for your time

Hi there,
Sad to admit but the quality of my life improved here with the opening of a French bakery 3 blocks from my house. It is called Franks (he is from Breton) and it is on the corner of Franklyn and Ambrosetti. It`s 1 block from Parque Centennario so you can make a picnic and pick up your crusty french loaf or almond croissants here to enjoy.
I swear every weekend there are more and more tourists/expats some coming from as far as Belgrano for his wares so he is worth it believe me

fifs2 said:
Hi there,
Sad to admit but the quality of my life improved here with the opening of a French bakery 3 blocks from my house. It is called Franks (he is from Breton) and it is on the corner of Franklyn and Ambrosetti. It`s 1 block from Parque Centennario so you can make a picnic and pick up your crusty french loaf or almond croissants here to enjoy.
I swear every weekend there are more and more tourists/expats some coming from as far as Belgrano for his wares so he is worth it believe me

hey!! you sure you couldn´t find Soy milk at the supermarket?? there is this brand called Ades they have flavoured soy milk (i.e orange, apple, pinapple, etc) and I think they have regular soy milk from that brand.

I hope it helps!
Cheers,
andrea

hi we are also travelling grey nomads and have apartment in san temo hope to meet up and chat or meet in a drinking establishment

Hi there,
Im pretty sure I saw imported soy milk at "Barrio Chino", in Belgrano, last week, on 2233 Arribeños St. there is a supermarket called Ichiban, but could be at "casa china" another supermarket 1 or two blocks down train station same street
I dont know where you live but also You could try en las "dieteticas"
Cheers

Thank you all for your help!

We will definitely look for Franks French bakery sometime soon!

Glad to hear that soy milk is possible to find in BA.

ru99 we are planning on going to "Spanglish"

Wednesday, December 8th Indie Bar (San Telmo)
Paseo Colon 843
7:00pm - 9:00pm. Check-in until 7:30pm. 25 pesos (includes a drink)

see the details here:

http://www.spanglishexchange.com

See you there?

Definitely there is soy milk in Chinatown I saw it in a kind of Chinese shop I think it was unbranded, as soon you enter the shop at your left there is a gondola full of them.

Its ironic that in a major soy producing country they don't produce and commercialize soy milk, maybe not to compete with producers of the real stuff?...or to protect the market? who knows

First - no washing machine in rented apartment :-(
Rent or buy a small cheap one then sell here but also a bit cheaper when leaving the country, sorted out :)

With fifs2 tip that problem also has been sorted out :)

Barrio Chino is your best friend, buy some and keep in the fridge :)

Forth - no English speaking socializing club :-(
Now you need to go for the Social Club, start to establish one, solved :)

nesika said:
First shock was no washing machine (I didn't even look while checking the apartment on the assumption that it is essential).

Washing machines and refrigerators are things most apartments for rent don't include. You have to bring your own.

nesika said:

What's your idea of a good bakery? Please be more specific.

nesika said:

The only soy milk I know is Ades. It's a local brand.

nesika said:
Also, as quite a social people we would love to go some places where we can meet some English speaking people. Are there any clubs like that in BA? If not, maybe we can start one ;-)

Some friends told me of a place called Sugar. They love it:

www.sugarbuenosaires.com/

Hi

We also are grey nomads, Canadians, and aren't available Wednesday night, but would love to go out with a few other couples at another time. We are in BA until the end of February, but off to Cordoba this weekend. We could get together anytime from the 14th on. We are renting an apartment at Junin and Juncal, in Barrio Norte. Thinking about some sort of Christmas celebration .....:)

Mahara

Back