Few Questions

Lucas and Hache your comments are funny :) and that always helps!

Mahara and ru99 lets stay in touch and think of something. If not today, may be next Spanglish meeting?

We are of European origin but had been living in Canada Montreal for quite some time and became Canadians :) Winter was the only reason we left! We love Canada!

If only Montreal had BA's climate ;-)

fifs2 said:
Hi there,
Sad to admit but the quality of my life improved here with the opening of a French bakery 3 blocks from my house. It is called Franks (he is from Breton) and it is on the corner of Franklyn and Ambrosetti. It`s 1 block from Parque Centennario so you can make a picnic and pick up your crusty french loaf or almond croissants here to enjoy.
I swear every weekend there are more and more tourists/expats some coming from as far as Belgrano for his wares so he is worth it believe me

Tomorrow! I'm going there tomorrow!!!
I really hope it's better than the other French bakery. That was really disappointing for bread. The croissants weren't so bad though. (where is the drooling smiley.) :)

And a big hello & welcome to Nesika & hubby.

mini said:
Tomorrow! I'm going there tomorrow!!!
I really hope it's better than the other French bakery. That was really disappointing for bread. The croissants weren't so bad though. (where is the drooling smiley.) :)

And a big hello & welcome to Nesika & hubby.

Hi - I believe the problem with all the baked goods in Argentina, and many other countries as well, is the quality of the wheat. If I can remember correctly, I read an article a while ago about a speciality bakery and the discussion was all around the amount of gluten, I believe, in the wheat.

Good quality flour has a much higher content of it and, therefore is much tastier, firmer, not pappy (spelling?) and soft. If the bakers can't get the wheat, the best recipes in the world won't help.

nesika said:

Mahara and ru99 lets stay in touch and think of something. If not today, may be next Spanglish meeting?

We are of European origin but had been living in Canada Montreal for quite some time and became Canadians :) Winter was the only reason we left! We love Canada!

Hi - we'd love to get together, but are away in Cordoba for the next few days.

I am not sure how much we would enjoy a Spanglish meeting - I'm Ok, but my husband's Spanish might not make it. What about a coffee? We are in Recoleta/Barrio Norte, but can go anywhere. Pertutti's or B.A. Grill on Santa Fe would be good, or another place you like would be great.

Mahara said:
Hi - I believe the problem with all the baked goods in Argentina, and many other countries as well, is the quality of the wheat. If I can remember correctly, I read an article a while ago about a speciality bakery and the discussion was all around the amount of gluten, I believe, in the wheat.

Good quality flour has a much higher content of it and, therefore is much tastier, firmer, not pappy (spelling?) and soft. If the bakers can't get the wheat, the best recipes in the world won't help.

That's interesting I didn't know that. I'd like to read it if you find the article online. The bread I make is quite good. But it is different. The dough it much stickier than when I've made it elsewhere. I use the flour that is specifically for bread.

My disappointment with the French bakery in Chacaritas was not with the taste it was that the bread was old. It was good but for a French bakery run by French guys, they shouldn't be serving day old bread! Boo! ;) It took me a while to get out there on a Sat mid morning to find day old bread. Bummer.

Eeks.. Sorry to change the subject! ;)

Mini I share your disappointment re old bread and once on a wednesday at Franks I found the bricohe a little dry which made me suspect it was from Tuesday but the weeekend stuff turns over so quicky it is definitely fresh and indeed warm. Bread will never be as good as Paris here but Frank´s has given my dinner parties and Sunday mornings a little boost. I hope he helps others enjoy the BsAs experience that little bit easier too!

Nossyd said:
Mini I share your disappointment re old bread and once on a wednesday at Franks I found the bricohe a little dry which made me suspect it was from Tuesday but the weeekend stuff turns over so quicky it is definitely fresh and indeed warm. Bread will never be as good as Paris here but Frank´s has given my dinner parties and Sunday mornings a little boost. I hope he helps others enjoy the BsAs experience that little bit easier too!

There is always a bright side: Day old brioche makes the best french toast! ;)

nesika said:

Nesika, BA climate sucks, it may be better than Canada and certainly better than Vancouver I've been there so I know what it's like, perpetual overcast rainy, cold and gray...but to be fair here winters are freezing cold as well, most summer days and nights sticking and muggy hot due to the big mass of fresh water from the River Plate with their Delta system, you will experience this and I can assure you will hate it.

BTW, good luck in your quest to find a reasonable edible copy of French fresh baked baguettes...I give up :D.......before it wasn't like that but now to get fresh French type bread or any type of bread for that matter they sucks all the same, be the gluten or the way are baked, controlled or the ovens they are using all has changed for the worse, mass production or cost reducing are the mayor culprits I think. :mad:

Thank you all for your help and warm welcoming.

Grill on Santa Fe sounds great (whatever it is ;-)

Let us know once you are back and have a great trip!

Lucas, I still prefer hot and humid than snow and wind (not the case with my hubby though)

Try to get bread in Thailand, then. BA is an expat dream compared with SE Asia, at least you can feel that you still are in a recognized Western cultural world. Do you feel alienated in BA? Can you imagine what is to be in Bangkok and be seen as a walking wallet by every person in the street? And never, ever, be able to blend with the crowd?

Back