Fibertel getting slow

Good to know there are other more reliable options - thanks! From some of the other comments it seems like there may be differences in reliability depending on location. Are you in the center or in a suburb?

jp said:
You should be ok.

I've used arnet for the past year and half (having abandoned fibertel, which was dire). Service has been fine, never had any problems and I'm on a relatively slow package

have a look aroune here:
venta.arnet.com.ar

The 20mb package offers up to 20mb download (although spectacularly unlikely you'll get this) and 512k upload.

The 5mb package should be fine for you based on what you've written.

Best of luck

That's an interesting twist. I'm in the same boat - if I don't have Internet i'll be unable to work. Since my employer is giving me latitude based on my ability to work as if I were back in the office i'm very sensitive about this; twice i have spent the night sitting outside a closed cafe in Ho Chi Minh City until 6am so i could poach their wifi to use skype on my ipod touch to attend meetings. if I get into a situation where I can't do my job I'll be forced to move back to the states immediately - which would be a serious bummer.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

katti said:
Internet is a lot slower here then we were used to at home. We could all (4 of us) watch youtube, download movies, upload photos, whatever, at the same time. Now, during 'rush hour' (in the evening and during holidays) it is even impossible to watch one youtube film, or at least you have to push 'pause' a while before you can watch it or else it blocks.

In my husband's office they need fast internet, and they have experienced that they must negotiate every 6 months or so. For example Fibertel sells this speed at that price, everyone changes, and after a few months, the speed is down, then Arnet does the same, everyone changes to Arnet, etc... In the office they have 2 providers, as it is not unusual that one falls out for a while, sometimes just half an hour, but they work on the server in belgium, so no internet, no computer, no work, and, no phone!

I have been asking my Argentine friends if I should change to another provider, and they all said that they won't, they are certain that they will find a solution, and that we won't be without internet... I have also realised that most of my friends (if not all) have Fibertel.

I, like Katti, find that at night during peak hours you get a slow down. I have Arnet at home & Fibertel at work. There are four hundred million cafes & restaurants with wifi. Also there are these work stations you can go to if find a day or two with no Internet at home. AreaTres & Urban Space, both in Palermo. Dont think they are open all night though.

I have Fibertel. Slooooooow. I've had it for a year now, and I feel like I am always losing internet in the middle of some internet-based activity. I've thought several times of changing to Arnet but, well, never really been sure it would be better. I used to have Speedy and I don't remember having so many problems.

Look into iplan if its available in your area. I work at areatres and we have it there, where its generally very stable and also symmetric. Rumor has it that they are growing a lot and constantly expanding their network.

Best thing you can do is changing your ISP right now, since Fibertel will be shut down anyway!

Back