Fibertel getting slow

My money is on Clarin and Fibertel. The government's trumped-up charges have more holes in them than a wheel of Swiss cheese.

I am an american working remotely for a US company - currently living in Bali until the end of the year and looking into my next destination. BA is at the top of the list. My only absolute requirement is reliable and reasonably fast internet. Can I depend on having at least 512kbps/256kbps download/upload speeds in BA?

ElvisOnTheRun said:
I am an american working remotely for a US company - currently living in Bali until the end of the year and looking into my next destination. BA is at the top of the list. My only absolute requirement is reliable and reasonably fast internet. Can I depend on having at least 512kbps/256kbps download/upload speeds in BA?

You've read the comments in this thread: what do you think?

ElvisOnTheRun said:
....Can I depend on having at least 512kbps/256kbps download/upload speeds in BA?

Not reliably and from what I've experienced and heard ... there's lots of packet shaping going on. YouTube Video's are always a slog. An AppleTV movie download can take 6 to ten hours sometimes. More often that not actually. I'm on a 5 MB connection and it feels more like 1st Gen DSL.

That said, free Wi-Fi is ubiquitous here. All of the the low to middle end coffee shops and restaurants offer it. In my neighborhood I've got my favorites based on speed. It's quite easy to become a digital bedouin. Though do be careful where you display any expensive toys.

elhombresinnombre said:
You've read the comments in this thread: what do you think?

I think I'd like to get feedback on the good and the bad. Often in threads like this you only get the complaints. :)

LJ2 said:
Not reliably and from what I've experienced and heard ... there's lots of packet shaping going on. YouTube Video's are always a slog. An AppleTV movie download can take 6 to ten hours sometimes. More often that not actually. I'm on a 5 MB connection and it feels more like 1st Gen DSL.

That said, free Wi-Fi is ubiquitous here. All of the the low to middle end coffee shops and restaurants offer it. In my neighborhood I've got my favorites based on speed. It's quite easy to become a digital bedouin. Though do be careful where you display any expensive toys.

Thanks for the info. i'm not going to be able to work from cafes though - I need to have my vonage internet phone working for conference calls, etc. So my concern is about home Internet speed.

ElvisOnTheRun said:

You should be ok.

I've used arnet for the past year and half (having abandoned fibertel, which was dire). Service has been fine, never had any problems and I'm on a relatively slow package

have a look aroune here:
venta.arnet.com.ar

The 20mb package offers up to 20mb download (although spectacularly unlikely you'll get this) and 512k upload.

The 5mb package should be fine for you based on what you've written.

Best of luck

ElvisOnTheRun said:
I think I'd like to get feedback on the good and the bad. Often in threads like this you only get the complaints. :)

Beggin' your pardon Mr Elvis but you asked very specific things about your absolute requirement and the answer to your absolute requirement should be absolutely clear by now. If you are wanting to know what the internet is like in Buenos Aires and then figure out whether you could live with it that's another question entirely so maybe you should go ahead and ask it.

I have had very little problem with down time here. And I have had Arnet, Fibertel and Speedy. What does suck though is the slow speed you get.
Many companies have two ISP's, just in case one fails. But this might just be paranoia about Argentina more than anything.

Internet is a lot slower here then we were used to at home. We could all (4 of us) watch youtube, download movies, upload photos, whatever, at the same time. Now, during 'rush hour' (in the evening and during holidays) it is even impossible to watch one youtube film, or at least you have to push 'pause' a while before you can watch it or else it blocks.

In my husband's office they need fast internet, and they have experienced that they must negotiate every 6 months or so. For example Fibertel sells this speed at that price, everyone changes, and after a few months, the speed is down, then Arnet does the same, everyone changes to Arnet, etc... In the office they have 2 providers, as it is not unusual that one falls out for a while, sometimes just half an hour, but they work on the server in belgium, so no internet, no computer, no work, and, no phone!

I have been asking my Argentine friends if I should change to another provider, and they all said that they won't, they are certain that they will find a solution, and that we won't be without internet... I have also realised that most of my friends (if not all) have Fibertel.

Back