Filing taxes in home country

Rease

Registered
I am wondering if anyone has experience with tax filing in their home country? In 2010 I worked 8 months of the year in the US so my taxes in 2011 were not too complicated. However, now that I pay taxes here in Argentina but earn small amounts of money through freelance work, I am wondering how complicated filing my taxes will be. I definitely don't make enough to warrant hiring one of those expat tax filing services.

I can't speak for the actual filing of taxes as I have my parents accountant do it for me. But don't forget about the foreign income tax exclusion loophole. If you earn under 90kish and spend a certain number of days out of the US (i think 330) out of a consecutive 365 days then you are exempt. I'm not an expert by any means but it kept me happy last year.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=97130,00.html

I always thought that "loophole" implies somewhat creative interpretation. Is foreign earned income exclusion really a loophole? What's next? Standard deduction loophole?

henryb said:
I always thought that "loophole" implies somewhat creative interpretation. Is foreign earned income exclusion really a loophole? What's next? Standard deduction loophole?

I apologize for my poor word choice. I was only trying to be helpful.

When I lived and worked in the UK I always just used TurboTax to do my US tax return. It's still about 50 USD to buy and download (since you can't do 1040EZ version) but I found it really helpful as you just answer the questions and the necessary forms are completed for you.

As of a few years ago you also got an automatic extension if you were filing from a foreign address, to June 15. So you should check if that is still the case as that way you can delay the inevitable a bit more! :)

Back