Filing taxes

Nicole_Ramirez

Registered
I really did search for this & couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if you live here but get paid from the US if you file your taxes normally or if you still have to fill out at foreign income form. My check is depostied into my US bank account so I don't really consider it foreign. I'm in Bariloche & I really doubt their is an account here who can help me.

I assume you are self employed, did you get a 1099? What state are you from in the U.S. Let me know this and I think I can help you out.

One other question, what part of 2010 (i.e. how many months, days) did you spend in Argentina?

If you are based here full time and meet the requirements (bonafide residence and/or physical residence test and tax home test), you *could* receive the foreign income exemption. Foreign income exemption means exemption from taxes on income of up to 91,500 USD. So yes, probably something you want to look into ;)

(This is valid even if you work for a US company and are paid into a US bank account as long as you qualify under IRS guidelines).

PS - A good accountant in the US can walk you through this. I use a US CPA to prepare my US taxes every year. I have a new one this year & am very impressed with him and his fees to prepare both my fed/state were very reasonable.

citygirl said:
If you are based here full time and meet the requirements (bonafide residence and/or physical residence test and tax home test), you *could* receive the foreign income exemption. Foreign income exemption means exemption from taxes on income of up to 91,500 USD. So yes, probably something you want to look into ;)

(This is valid even if you work for a US company and are paid into a US bank account as long as you qualify under IRS guidelines).

This is true if she meets the criteria but she would still be liable for self employment tax if self employed. There are some things that can be done to cut down on SE taxes but that's another story.

Very true. I wasn't assuming she was a 1099 although I guess possible or corp-to-corp although if that's the case, whole different set of rules here.

citygirl said:
PS - A good accountant in the US can walk you through this. I use a US CPA to prepare my US taxes every year. I have a new one this year & am very impressed with him and his fees to prepare both my fed/state were very reasonable.

Can;t agree more here.

Don't do those turbo tax or H&R Block offers. Get yourself an accountant. They can probably do your taxes fairly cheap.

If you get a good accountant, it's definitely worth it. Especially if they can work with you on getting a potential $91k income exclusion.

gouchobob said:
I assume you are self employed, did you get a 1099? What state are you from in the U.S. Let me know this and I think I can help you out.

No I am not self employed. I work remotely over the computer to my old job in Florida. All my work is processed in Florida. I was in Argentina every day last year except for the 2 weeks I was on vacation in Uruguay.

Back