Filo dough?

NOLAchef

Registered
Hola!

What is filo dough called here in BA? Tambien, what about puff pasty dough? Obviously I'm looking for the pre-packaged that is normally sold frozen. Where can I find these things?

Thanks!

NOLAchef said:
Hola!

What is filo dough called here in BA? Tambien, what about puff pasty dough? Obviously I'm looking for the pre-packaged that is normally sold frozen. Where can I find these things?

Thanks!

You can find it in China Town in the nice red supermarket that does not stink of fish. It is not so cheap and you get about 10 small sheets in a container about the size of a small thin book.

NOLAchef said:
Hola!

Thanks!
Filo φύλλo is a Greek word meaning sheets and in this case sheet pastry.. Do not know what it is called in Castellano ...Used in Greek dishes such as Baklava and Spanakopita ... I have been looking as well.. If you find any let me know cause I make ALL Greek dishes.. Lived there for 15 years...:D

You can find masa filo at most supermarkets in the city, look in the aisles where they have the lard, pancakes, etc ( close to dairy ).You can also find it at middle eastern bakery stores such as Damasco on Scalabrini Ortiz, but I´m pretty sure they carry it at Disco, Jumbo, Coto, etc.

But be warned because they both taste terrible. The prepackaged puff pastry seems to be made with anything BUT butter--probably margarine--and tastes precisely like bland plastic though it looks pretty coming out of the oven. It was terrible. You might try asking a good bakery if they will sell you some of the dough they use.

It's called masa filo in Buenos Aires. You can find it in some Carrefour supermarkets called masa para strudel or masa philo envasada.

Panaderia arabe 4671-3868 Felipe Ballese 3535

AV. Juan de Garay 2501 4941-2189

Panaderia y Confiteria Armenia between Gorriti y Cabrera

Panaderia Damasco on Scalabrini Ortiz between Cordoba and Gorriti.

El horno de medio oriente on Av. Garay and Alberti.

You can also refer to it as "masa hojaldre", which is a generic term for andy flaky and or puff-pastry. I know I will get blasted for this, but it's soooo easy to make:
250 gr Butter - MUST BE REAL BUTTER
250 gr flour - good quality and sifted - NO LUMPS
600 ml very cold water
Pinch of salt

The key is to "CUT and PRESS" the flour, salt and butter into each other while SLOWLY adding the water to the mix, until you get a crumbly mess, then you just roll it out smooth once you have all these well mixed, buttery, floury, wet mixed crumbs.

I bought it at Jumbo a week ago, it was quite expensive 35 pesos for 1 kilo.
It was sold right by the tapas for empanadas in the fridge department, not frozen.
They also have the dough (more or less the same as the filo) packaged for strudel. I have used it 3 weeks ago and it was not bad.

Davidglen77 said:
You can also refer to it as "masa hojaldre", which is a generic term for andy flaky and or puff-pastry. I know I will get blasted for this, but it's soooo easy to make:
250 gr Butter - MUST BE REAL BUTTER
250 gr flour - good quality and sifted - NO LUMPS
600 ml very cold water
Pinch of salt

The key is to "CUT and PRESS" the flour, salt and butter into each other while SLOWLY adding the water to the mix, until you get a crumbly mess, then you just roll it out smooth once you have all these well mixed, buttery, floury, wet mixed crumbs.
Yes this is well known.. for puff pastry .. but Filo is a totally different matter.. it is in no way EASY... very time consuming and difficult.. made by hand... there are some work arounds to get it done faster but still difficult ... it is the rolling out that is difficult...I know this first hand.. I have watched the old Greek grandmothers in the Greek villages making this..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Expat Life 7
S Expat Life 18
N Expat Life 11
Back