Finally Created Account :)

JoshF

Registered
Hi guys and gals,

Been lurking reading this site for few years now beleive it or not and finally made account lol. I've read through everything from getting dollars to cuts of beef and where to get a kitchen knife so I'm not going to ask some question answered a millon times I hope.

I know not to bother shipping stuff just packing max in bags and paying to bring extra luggage if need be. Ill be arriving oct 29 I've been visiting 3 months at a time for last couple years so I'm not totally ignorant on what differences to expect.

So a lil about me my name is josh and I'm from California my fiancée lives in capital federal (sp?) I'm moving to B.A. While she finishes getting her degree. Our apartment will be finished with construction hopefully by dec but not too worried if it takes longer. One of biggest things I know I'll miss is the wheelchair accessibility that's in the USA but I'm up for the challenge.

Anyhow don't want to ramble on too much I plan on using your combined wisdom/expeirence and try to be active on this site since I've returned to it many times for answers to my questions

Welcome to forum Josh. Hope you'll enjoy living here.

BsAs is not an entirely wheelchair friendly city, but its far better than other places i've been. All buses and subways have wheelchair support and most public buildings have wheelchair access.

I often wondered how someone in a wheelchair could manage being really mobile in Bs As. Things have improved over the past years though.

I often wondered how someone in a wheelchair could manage being really mobile in Bs As. Things have improved over the past years though.

Porteño drivers still consider sloping wheelchair access curbs as their personal designated parking zones, though.

BsAs def isn't ideal for a wheelchair user from narrow doorways in some places to sidewalks that r iffy at times but all in all I've dealt with worse during my travels. I will always feel like I'm the frog in game frogger while crossing street in BsAs but no where is perfect.

I share the wonder, and I also think that elderly people in BsAs really need good legs to jump off the colectivos, climb narrow stairs, carry their shopping, etc.
I brought "nice" shoes with heels from home, but I doubt I'll ever use them. Too many holes in the ground, uneven pavements, broken tiles, dog poo, etc.

Overall, I don't think BsAs is very challenged-friendly. I myself have a hearing issue and I find extremely frustrating when I have to charge my SUBTE card with a mirrored-booth in front of me and someone is speaking Spanish from inside. Also, yesterday I was on the colectivo with my bf when the driver announced he was taking a deviation, so my boyfriend hurried me to jump off the bus and then explained me why. I asked him how he could possibly know about the deviation, since I heard nothing. We were in standing in front of the central doors and the bus was full, the driver spoke in a normal voice. I believe the people in the rear didn't hear him, as well.

Anyway, welcome Josh, I hope we will see you at one of our expats' meetings!

I share the wonder, and I also think that elderly people in BsAs really need good legs to jump off the colectivos, climb narrow stairs, carry their shopping, etc.

When we lived in Buenos Aires I caught the bus quite a lot. Once I saw this darling little Nona, short and very old, being absolutely unable to even reach the first step of the buss. She turned around to the woman behind to ask for help, who resolutely grabbed her under the armpits and lifted her up. I did wonder what the old woman thought of it, but she got in and a seat became available promptly.

Welcome! The good news for you is that wheelchair users along with one companion both travel for free in Argentina. And I don't mean just within Buenos Aires, but regular commercial long-distance buses that go to any destination within the country. Want to go to Mendoza for the weekend? Free. Iguazú, Bariloche, Salta? Free, free, free. Bus companies are required by law to give you 2 free tickets, you just need to go and request it 48 hours in advance (and you'll need your "Certificado de discapacidad"). Guess you'll be doing a lot of traveling around :) http://derechosparad...transporte.html

Hi Josh, and welcome! Seems like you know the city pretty well. As Serafina says, please join us at a coffee chat or other event when you arrive!

I was on a bus to Parque Chacabuco/Flores once and the bus we were in tried passing a young guy in
a wheel chair and his mom at the stop, even though it is a kneeling bus, and when people complained he
stopped and backed up to the stop, only to not bother after the curb didn't line up with the ramp. Long story
short the was he got on the bus was by passengers yelling at him to stop and then passengers lifting the
boy in the wheelchair on to the bus. Hi mom said several buses had come and pass only to leave them...

Back