Finding a great 3 month rental apartment

Other stipulations to consider:
a clause in my lease,
must pay the agreed amount of the RENT to THE LESSOR PARTY in US DOLLAR BILLS, (later series 1996 large face)

a clause in my lease,
must pay the agreed amount of the RENT to THE LESSOR PARTY in US DOLLAR BILLS, (later series 1996 large face)
If that's what it says, then you could pay them with a stack of $1 dollar bills. Of course, they would scream bloody murder, but you'd be within the contract terms...

a clause in my lease,
In addition may require the blue opalescent security bar across the center..!

My apologies I excluded the note:

NOTE: On the day of signing the amount to be paid will be in DOLLAR BILLS of high denomination "CARA GRANDE" and that are in good condition without stains or breaks.

people really should get away from this stupid attraction to only new bills. USD is USD.
I'd agree, from the consumer's point of view but from dealer's position, there are so many series and they all look different and unless you are an expert who knows whether this one or that one is a new forgery that hasn't been seen before?

I tried to sell some USD100 bills of mixed ages and designs in a provincial town in England a short while ago. None of the exchange houses would touch any of them - not even the brand new ones. Fifties and less, no problem. They just don't want to risk getting burned by the hundreds.

Living in Peru, home to the continental champions of forgery and fraud, the rule for people who weren't experts on the different banknote features was that a used banknote had accumulated trust from the various users whose hands it had passed through, and didn't need to be checked anymore. The new banknotes were all suspect.

I guess the logic is too subtle for Argentina.

As much as I dislike AirBnB as a company, if you'll only be here for three months, they're probably your best option. If you want to go through the process of coordinating apartment viewings and potentially having to pay your rent up-front in physical US cash, we used ZonaProp (https://www.zonaprop.com.ar/) -- you can filter for "temporal".
Just out of curiosity, why do you hate Airbnb? For the nosebleed 10% fee they charge guests? I'm just curious.

Just out of curiosity, why do you hate Airbnb? For the nosebleed 10% fee they charge guests? I'm just curious.
For context, in my day-job I work as a housing policy planner in the US, so that definitely influences my feelings. The short version:

I don't think short-term rentals are bad in every context -- I've known people who rented out their guest room as a supplement to their farming income in areas that were rural enough that they probably couldn't support a full hotel. If that's all AirBnB were, I wouldn't mind it as much. But as many cities have seen, the system it creates encourages property owners to only rent full apartments through AirBnB rather than taking on the legal obligations and risks of renting-long term or of operating a hotel. This can create or exacerbate housing scarcity for long-term renters, and potentially push people into unstable housing situations.

Additionally, there's little oversight in the safety of the spaces that are rented through AirBnB. Renting an AirBnB in Medellin once we arrived at a building that was still very much under construction (like, you could have fallen six stories through the middle of the building from the hallway), and I've also stayed at AirBnBs in the US that didn't have basic safety features like second points of egress in case of fire or smoke/carbon monoxide detectors that would be required in long-term rentals or hotels. Others have reported being illegally filmed by their hosts, or having hosts come in to sexually assault them.

I use AirBnB, as there is an unmet need in the market in most places for hotels that have things like kitchen or laundry access for long-term travel. But I hate that AirBnB is often the only option for meeting that need.

Back