Finding altitude sickness pills in BA? ie Diamox?

Karly

Registered
I'll be leaving for Peru next week and have had the hardest time getting my prescription for Diamox (altitude sickness pills) filled. I've been to at least 5 pharmacies and no one seems to carry it. Have you found it??? Can you direct me to a pharmacy somewhere in the city?

Thank you for the help!!!!

You will easily be able to get something similar in Peru. And probably won't need a prescription to get it. You have a prescription, but if its not for medical reasons (and for the altitude) ascend slowly, drink plenty of water, refrain from Alcohol for the first few days, and aspirin helps. I personally believe in letting the body adjust naturally, but if you are on a short trip this is not possible.

Hey, thanks for the response.

I would like to get them here so that I can start taking them a day or two in advance. We'll be arriving in Lima and then heading straight to the Cordillera Blanca where we'll be doing some major ascents...
I thought I could acclimate naturally, as you suggest, but I got really sick in the Bolivian Altiplano last year - I guess I'm a bit sensitive :rolleyes: (vomiting constantly to the point that I thought I'd have to go to the hospital to be treated for dehydration). But a kind stranger gave me two Diamox pills. I wasn't able to hold down the first one but the second one immediately cleared up my symptoms - well, long enough for me to start to hold down water, anyway, and start to feel MUCH MUCH better.
So.... Long story short, I need to be better prepared this time! And any and all advice helps!
Thanks!

I assume you will be based in Huaraz, if so check out: http://www.josplacehuaraz.com/ run by an English / Peruvian couple, Joe & Vicky; friendly and secure. One of my favourite chicken and chips restaurants in Peru is about 3 blocks from the hostel.

Hey, thanks for the recommendation.
We already have a reservation here: http://www.olazas.com/photo.htm
But I'll keep Jo's Place and the restaurant in mind.

P.S. I found pills!!! Though my prescription was made out for Diamox, it is apparently not made anymore, but I found the same drug (Acetazolamida) under the name of Hydroftal.
Exito.

Back