Homesickness

"Skype and Facebook are great tools to keep in touch with everyone you miss from home," says Watson. "But at the same time actually seeing the people you love, the comfort of the homes you miss, photos of happy times all together over there… it kind of rubs it in [and] can actually make you feel worse off."

Very, very true. I think that a great deal of people can this forum can relate (I know I can!).
Thank you for posting this article!

Homesick blues gringoboy?

I never really. Get homesick, I'd love a pint with friends from home or a sunday afternoon with the irish half of the family but i haven't suffered too much otherwise.

Must be the weather, got you all nostalgic for home!

For home sickness, the first year it is rough, and latter on the big events that happen back home and you are not able to make it. In my case the death of grandparents, and the births of nephews. Still, I don't dwell, because the home I left is not the home it is now. My tolerance for the place in many ways is lower. I love family and friends, but I can't be around them for too long either. I have lost the patience you need to make deep family relations work well. I have been away for 12 years now. Also, I have learned to embrace the nomadic life. Now after some years in a new place I start wondering what else is out there. What would life in Australia be like? Moscow? I not long ago I was talking to one lady who works at the German embassy and she told me most of her embassy friends have these same issues. Not happy at home for too long and getting wondering feet after 4 years in a place. The longer you are away the less you fit in when you are back. I guess for some of us it is all about the journey and the adventure.

Homesick blues gringoboy?

I never really. Get homesick, I'd love a pint with friends from home or a sunday afternoon with the irish half of the family but i haven't suffered too much otherwise.

Must be the weather, got you all nostalgic for home!

For me it comes in waves.
I find it very very hard to look at pictures of home, all those familiar things like road signs, post boxes and country pubs.
It's a very real physical symptom and does bring me to real tears at times.
I've spoken to quite a few expats both here and in Spain where I lived before coming here and I always found it hard when some of them said that they never thought about home and never wanted to go back. I could never get my head round that concept.
I'm Welsh and in Wales we call it hiraeth .
.............rushes off for a kiss and a cuddle with Adri........................

It definitely comes in waves for me as well. Just how it is sometimes. I can't imagine living back in the States, but I don't feel like I belong here yet. Kind of like a woman without a country. It's normal to feel this way, I am told. But the hardest parts are missing big events back home for sure. t t

I know what you mean Gringoboy. As much as I love the adventure and challenge of living in Australia and travel to new countries, Wales is still and will always be home. I was there in 2010 and had 6 weeks of brilliant weather.......an rare event I know ;) , but I realised the one thing I miss more than anything, those summer nights in a beer garden with family and friends when its still light at 10:30pm! Sheer bliss !!!

Luckily enough the British Lions are touring here at the moment. Saw them over a week ago playing here in Perth plus met up with a few of the Welsh supporters, so my homesickness has abated, allbeit on a temporary basis. But then I'll have next year to look forward too, and another pilgrimage to the old country.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Expat Life 6
Vagrant Violet Expat Life 12
H Expat Life 28
Back