Fine Raised for Overstaying Visas

I can't answer that for sure, however I have a friend who was able to get the extension in November 2008 at the migraciones office. It took about 30 mins for the whole deal. If you can still get this done there be sure to bring your original passport and a photocopy of ALL pages even the ones that don't have stamps on them and make sure you haven't passed the 90 day mark from the date your passport was stamped on entry to Argentina. The stamp MUST be fully legible, so make sure when you come in and out of Argentina they stamp your passport fully square and that the date of entry is correct and fully visible or you MAY have problems down the line.

I just copied this from the migraciones website directly. It was in the section of the website that talks about the new call center and it's purpose:

Informes, Entregas, Prórrogas de Permanencia, Renovación de Precarias, Permisos de Ingreso, Habilitación de Salida, Certificaciones, Intimados a traer documentación, Registro de requirentes y apoderados y Patria Grande.

(Translation)
Information, document pick-up, visa extensions, "precaria" residency renewals, entry permits, exit permits, certified documents, those with letters of demand for documentation, business registry, power of attorney, and "Patria Grande" program.

The website states that any of these transactions DO NOT require a call to the new call center and must be handled in person at the migraciones office. The extension of the 90 day tourist visa is handled by "Prórrogas de permanencia", therefore I would say it is a transaction that can still be done at migraciones as usual. Keep in mind there is a lot of construction going on there, so the location of the desks for that section may have changed. They have been located (at least for the past 2 years that I have been here, in the large room to the left of the main room, opposite the area that handles "extra-mercosur" transactions. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the actual info David but I would still like to hear from someone who is going to migraciones soon, or has since the 21st when the price was changed. Like I said, I was pretty sure that I just encountered uninformed or lazy employees but all of the ones I talked to, especially at the desk for this area ( I know I was in the correct area as well) seemed to legitimately think this was not an option. And we talked for several minutes going over the topic in all possible forms but I was still told no.

I at one point took out my passport and showed him my original entry stamp and he said "i know, i get it, you've been here 3 months and are staying another 3, but there's nothing you can do here. you just pay the fee when you leave."

I really don't know what else to say about it other than they said no.

KateinBA said:
Like I said, I was pretty sure that I just encountered uninformed or lazy employees...
:eek:

En serio? Aca? No puedo creerlo!

;)

Lol, I guess i just wasn't early enough. I got there at 8:30 and they said that all the numbers for today was already gone. I'll have to go back tomorrow.

cavemanugh said:
Lol, I guess i just wasn't early enough. I got there at 8:30 and they said that all the numbers for today was already gone. I'll have to go back tomorrow.

What are you saying here?

"They only have a set number of people that they will help in one day?"

Or something else?

Also, I'm guessing you mean 8:30AM, right?

Yes, i was there at 8:30 AM. I'm not sure if there's a set number of people or what the deal is, just the front counter said that there were no more tickets available and that i should come back tomorrow and to make sure i was there at 7:30AM to make sure i got in.

cavemanugh said:
Yes, i was there at 8:30 AM. I'm not sure if there's a set number of people or what the deal is, just the front counter said that there were no more tickets available and that i should come back tomorrow and to make sure i was there at 7:30AM to make sure i got in.

Hmmm, just verifying, because there's a desk when you walk in the front door, but the numbers for renewing tourist visa is toward the back to the left down a hallway at a little desk.

Back