Fine Raised for Overstaying Visas

I know this won't be popular, but I think $300 ARG pesos is fair. We are talking about $91.00 U$D. Just think, if you overstay a visa in the US you can be arrested, brought to trial and then deported. Here in Argentina, they are nice enough to let you go for $91.00 U$D and happy to collect it and let you go on your merry way. This will also help to remind people to respect the laws here as just as they would in their own country. Furthermore, were you all aware that Argentina doesn't consider anybody "illegal" in this country no matter what your immigration status or visa status is, expired or current? They consider you to have "irregluar" migratory status, which is NOT a crime here. Go try something like that in the US.

Davidglen77 said:
I know this won't be popular, but I think $300 ARG pesos is fair. We are talking about $91.00 U$D.

I agree. Pero bueno.

Does anyone know if Americans have to pay US$134 when they enter the country?

That was discussed as something that was going to be enacted January 1st and then postponed until MARCH 1st.

:confused: Was it ever enacted? :confused:

Napoleon said:
I agree. Pero bueno.

That was discussed as something that was going to be enacted January 1st and then postponed until MARCH 1st.

I don't think its been enacted yet. We re-entered Arg in mid-March and it wasnt then. I'm sure we would have heard about it here (or in the news) had it been enacted since then. And now with the decline in tourism, it would be an even worse idea to enact it. It's probably been put on hold for a long while. :)

I´m a little confused about the overstaying fee. Is it $300 ARG for every three months you overstay or is it a set fee?

Drewdown said:
I´m a little confused about the overstaying fee. Is it $300 ARG for every three months you overstay or is it a set fee?

I'm pretty sure it is AR$300 whether you overstay 1 day or 2 years.

And I might be going to Uruguay in the next few days if that US$134 hasn't been enacted.

I flew out of EZE on APRIL 27TH, and was charged a $300 PESO FINE FOR MY EXPIRED VISA. The new fine was put into effect the week before, and they plan to keep it! So, unless you enjoy giving money away, it is best to keep your visa current, at the more reasonable rates.

Also, before leaving for the airport, I tried to change pesos to dollars at the exchange in Recoleta, and was refused-because of the expired visa. Upon my return to BA, I will keep my visa current, and legal.

Napoleon said:
I agree. Pero bueno.

My girlfriend visited me earlier this month. She arrived on April 2nd and wasn't charged an entry fee.

LesGrant said:
My girlfriend visited me earlier this month. She arrived on April 2nd and wasn't charged an entry fee.

The $134 tourist visa fee for Americans has been delayed indefinitely. I'd assume it has to do with 5 months of decline in tourism to Argentina as well as the global economy.

The $300 peso fee for overstaying your visa went into effect on April 21, 2009 as did the $300 peso fee for renewing your tourist fee at the migraciones office.
I did a blog post on this at http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/argentina-increases-fee-for-overstaying-tourist-visa

Back