First It Was Easy Taxi, Now Uber Doa?!

I often take a taxi from club Matienzo, which is on Pringles near Cordoba, to my home on Santa Fe and Coronel Diaz. Thats about a 40 peso ride.
At 3:30 in the morning, its not a walk I care to make.
Its about a 20 or 25 minute walk.

There are quite a few similar distance taxi rides I take.
I take collectivos a LOT- sometimes 8 or 10 a day.
But usually my last ride of the night, which can easily be between 2 and 4 am, is a taxi.

I feel no shame about that.

I took a taxi on Sunday night from my house in coghlan to Flores and it cost $210. It took about the same amount time as one of my typical 70 peso rush hour ride. I think with price flexibility my Sunday ride could have been down to about 100. At night with long distances the price often pushes me to take a 3.50 bus when I would be willing to 20 or 30 times more for a taxi.

Serafina:
I assume then that you have already contacted the services listed under "electrical engineer job search argentina" on GOOGLE. without success.

40 pesos is easy walking distance, why bother?
Nancy

Absolutely right. On the odd occasion I have something to carry to or from my sis-in-law's apartment and home, it's like, 45 pesos. Eleven blocks.

If you talk with taxi drivers, most of them don't own the car. So, they need to work about 8 hours just to pay the rent of the car. That is why all of them works 12 hours for survival.

I do not see how Uber can be something good for some one different than its owner.

Taxis are already cheap here.

You do not solve the issues with corruption on taxis of Aeroparque (the worst place) with Uber, you just have to arrest the abrepuertas or to forbidd them.

Regarding Ezeiza, well, cheap is expensive. A tourist has cash or electronics, mmmmmmm, no thanks.

You do not solve the issues with corruption on taxis of Aeroparque (the worst place) with Uber, you just to arrest the abrepuertas or to forbidd them.

brilliant. Aeroparque is a problematic area with Taxis especially when arriving from a flight on a rainy night

I do not see how Uber can be something good for some one different than its owner.

Taxis are already cheap here.

You do not solve the issues with corruption on taxis of Aeroparque (the worst place) with Uber, you just have to arrest the abrepuertas or to forbidd them.

Regarding Ezeiza, well, cheap is expensive. A tourist has cash or electronics, mmmmmmm, no thanks.

I actually see the real benefit to Uber on the premium side, taking a taxi is a total lottery when it comes to the vehicle. Sometimes you get a like new c5 and some times you get some 20 year old fiat that smells like BO and cigarettes. You can get out of the latter and take another but I haven't found a reliable way to get the former to come pick me up.

the problem is compounded by the fact that the nicest taxis are generally not radio taxis.

Also

If you talk with taxi drivers, most of them don't own the car. So, they need to work about 8 hours just to pay the rent of the car. That is why all of them works 12 hours for survival.
I'm almost positive that's not true. Everything I've read indicates that a large majority are owner driven.

Argentine cabbies aren't more aggressive at protecting their turf than ones in other countries. Here in Nice (and Paris) cabbies went berserk last year against Uber. They blocked all train stations and even pedestrian traffic in front of them so that I could hardly find a way out of my station to walk home. They burned cars in the streets, set tires on fire on the commercial street going to the airport, yanked Uber customers by their arms out of their cars (!) and ruined even luxurious licensed limousines- by throwing eggs into their interiors.

They pulled cyclists who offer visitors short rides down and back along the seafront off those rides accusing them of operating a form of public transit although it's just a tourist attraction on par with, say, eating violet ice cream! They abused those cyclists' customers inches from their faces. To cabbies here, any kind of moving 'transport' became regarded as a direct illegal threat to their monopoly even knowing that some of the services they were attacking were legal and not competing with taxis.

Cabs in Nice are way more expensive than London's! We can't even flag cabs here. National law forbids that anywhere in France. France's highest court has upheld the ban on rides flagged in the streets. Criminal charges were laid again the CEO of 'Uber France'.

So all this violence in my darling, charming, utterly 'safe' mid-sized city in its very best area makes me look askance at union protests in Arg being considered especially bad. No way are they.(I've been trapped in Villa Solati in that park called 'something-Americano' an hour before the police killed that illegal Colombian immigrant in Dec/11. We put all our trust in our cabby and stayed tranquil 100%. Portenos have the world's best cabbies.)

One of the main reasons I love BA is on account of its cabbies. They created so many of my most meaningful memories there Their customer service exceeds even Lodon' highest standards! In BA, they are effectively a police service protecting and always looking after customers. Who else ensures that you get safely into your apartment building late night before pulling away from the curb? They teach you Spanish and play great music. I would never use an alternative service there. I don't want Uber etc there at all!

In my former city of Ottawa, Canada (a sleepy place), cabbies followed and filmed Uber drivers all night long last year. The city stopped that. In Toronto, a local MP parked outside an Uber driver's home in the suburbs and gave anti-Uber speeches right there to the press while terrifying the Uber driver's family as they tried to sleep. All our North American cities have formidable taxi unions.

I don't see anything unique about Argentina having strong unions. Even if that were unusual, so what? All countries are sovereign.

Portenos have the world's best cabbies.

One of the main reasons I love BA is on account of its cabbies. They created so many of my most meaningful memories there Their customer service exceeds even Lodon' highest standards! In BA, they are effectively a police service protecting and always looking after customers. Who else ensures that you get safely into your apartment building late night before pulling away from the curb? They teach you Spanish and play great music. I would never use an alternative service there. I don't want Uber etc there at all!

True ! True ! True!

Words of a well traveled person - who can actually compare the BA cabbies with cabbies in other countries and continents

Back