First timer, thinking about buying a house

Can somembody explain where from Argentinians are getting 4K/month when they are allowed to buy 200$ in USD.
Sale price in usd-ok, but renting-you're gringopriced. That's concerning renting.

Concerning selling. OP send your Argentinianfriends as secret buyers to the lady and see what they will get.
I'm not going to explain anything about where Argentinians are getting USD 4k / month :) , but regarding Mar de las Pampas and apartments there, in late October we checked out the place we had stayed in previously, it's rented by a local agency (Roldan), and it was rented out from the last week of December until mid-February at the equivalent of USD 4k in Pesos (as usual in Argentina, the information was given in a voice note, so it's not immediately searchable, but believe me, the figure made an impression). The agency is more than happy to accept cash payment in stacks of Peso notes, Gringo Dollars are not particularly in demand. Every similar place in MdlP was similarly booked out, as the agency told us, and as we could verify on Airbnb, last minute opportunities appeared, but went quickly. Prices for the 2021-2022 summer season were well over twice those of the previous year. We ended up staying a week in the much more downmarket Santa Clara del Mar :-(

I'd suggest anyone considering buying in the area should check out how the places are in summer, Villa Gesell, Pinamar, and places like that are over-run with students in summer, as is Mar del Plata, of course. In Villa Gesell there are so many people you can't even get mobile phone service. Mar de las Pampas and Mar Azul are a bit quieter, maybe because they're more difficult to get to (dirt / sand roads, very rustic).

There are places further south, like Balneario Reta, or Chapadmalal (the "Argentinian Caribbean") that I would like to see, they're almost certainly a bit quieter than any of the other places I mentioned. The coast from Balneario Reta to Chapadmalal and on to Bahia Blanca is almost East-West, I'm told this makes for endless sunny days in summer :cool:

As a previous 15-year homeowner of property near Pinamar, I highly recommend you rent anytime you want to stay near the beach. Owning a home in that area is not only expensive to buy, but also to maintain. The gardener, cleaning lady, roof repair guy (because the roof will leak, I promise you), painter (ocean air is brutal) and everyone else will rip you off to high heaven, and that’s in the low season. Mar del las Pampas may seem quiet now, but that’s how Valeria Del Mar was in 2002, and now it’s a madhouse. Don’t get me started on renting your home out to others. Not worth it, I promise you. Go on vacation to the beach, pay your insane rental price, and let some other sucker take care of the rest.

There are places further south, like Balneario Reta, or Chapadmalal (the "Argentinian Caribbean") that I would like to see, they're almost certainly a bit quieter than any of the other places I mentioned. The coast from Balneario Reta to Chapadmalal and on to Bahia Blanca is almost East-West, I'm told this makes for endless sunny days in summer :cool:

I went to reta 30 years ago. I loved the place. I stayed in a cheap inn (the only one) with my mother, for a week. Very close to the city of Tres Arroyos. Since I didn't have a car, the short trip from there to Reta was crossing the countryside in a decrepit bus and in the middle of a hellish cloud of dust. Wild. I loved ! It is a place to visit.

I went to reta 30 years ago. I loved the place. I stayed in a cheap inn (the only one) with my mother, for a week. Very close to the city of Tres Arroyos. Since I didn't have a car, the short trip from there to Reta was crossing the countryside in a decrepit bus and in the middle of a hellish cloud of dust. Wild. I loved ! It is a place to visit.
I was in Reta in 2020, it has changed a lot. Its still really beautiful, with huge dunes and wildness, miles of empty beaches, but they have been adding a lot of little lots and new summer houses, its probably doubled in size. A friend was just down there this summer, says there are dozens of new houses in just the last 2 years. Business area is still pretty small and centralized, but its sure not 30 years ago any more. 5 years ago would have been a great time to buy land in Reta. They have non-profit Rock Reta Radio playing rock nacional most nights.
I still like it, will go back most likely for a week sometime, but development is ongoing all over the country, despite people's claims that Argentina is a third world country with a broken economy.

Back