Flat For January And February W/ A/c

To be honest, sounds about the same as my experience with crummy Comcast in DC. Thanks for all the details and advice -- what a helpful message board!
no, it's not like comcast.

Why not go AirBnB? There are a number of options around the decent neighborhoods for $800-900 monthly. No worries about deposits.

What do you folks think? Worth paying almost double the price for the security of not losing the deposit? Isn't it about the same in the end (double price for Air BnB vs. paying less and the deposit of one month)?

I'd be curious to hear pluses and minuses -- and definitely think the discussion would be valuable for everyone in the future as well.

What do you folks think? Worth paying almost double the price for the security of not losing the deposit? Isn't it about the same in the end (double price for Air BnB vs. paying less and the deposit of one month)?

I'd be curious to hear pluses and minuses -- and definitely think the discussion would be valuable for everyone in the future as well.

I've never used it in Argentina, but I think with AirBnB, there is more than just the security of not having to deal with the deposit. For the most part, what you see is what you get. It is more money, sure, but even if the apartments listed in the above links are legitimate, you would probably need to be here and speak Spanish to actually get in one without getting ripped off. That's a risk that is less likely with AirBnB.

It may seem like many people on this forum are pessimistic or paranoid, but take heed. Ripoffs are not uncommon here.

I'd be curious to hear pluses and minuses

Golden rule of renting in BA..Pay only and ONLY in local Argentine Pesos!

It took me several years to learn my lesson! You are lucky to be advised this straightaway.

It took me several years to learn my lesson! You are lucky to be advised this straightaway.

Not to contradict my previous post, but this is a good point. As a resident, I would never have considered paying in USD. However for a two month visit, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. With AirBnB, there is no exchanging cash, no paying in cash, and much better dispute resolution that what you will get dealing with an inmobiliaria. Just my humble opinion. I'm considering it for my next trip down, but I don't mean to sound like a shill for AirBnB.

Ah, I've been to BA and Argentina before -- spent about two weeks in BA -- and a couple more weeks in Argentina. Definitely know when to insist on paying in pesos -- and to double-check the exchange rate. :) But definitely a good reminder!

Yes, If you stay here long term. But only for 2 months, it's not going to save you much and you shop around like crazy for 2 months stay, it's a waste of time, you may not able to even save much. Couple of expensive meals can eat away the $ you saved, and you spend
hours running from barrio to barrio to deal with difficult Argentine landlord/agent, who ask for all kinds of BS. You could enjoy the city and worry about other important things.

ok i agree

just 2 months..pay in us$. not in pesos.no agency fees and not 1 month deposit...just 200-300 usd as deposit.

Sorry Noruega I didn't mean to say that they only list in dollars and they won't accept pesos, just that whatever they decided was the rental price before the whole currency-exchange-blockade is pretty much what they try to keep to, even if they rent in pesos. It's not like they convert at the official rate what they had in mind for their place in dollars... do you get what I mean? Let's say they list it in USD but they say you can pay in pesos ; they usually don't convert the price to pesos at the official rate. They may convert to somewhere in between if they are desperate for a renter for some reason (good chance of this though during summer months as owners get desperate to get their places rented before leaving the city).
Hi Lucha, my point was just that there are many, many temporary rentals listed in pesos, and whether that peso rate is converted on the blue doesn't really matter to me, as long as it is listed in pesos and is a price I am willing to pay. Of course some are listed in dollars, especially the more expensive ones and the ones who only want really short term (less than a month) but there should be plenty of peso options.

I haven't used At Buenos Aires, but there are many others as well! Calot has a lot of temporary rentals, I have visited a few and they were pretty good.

Back