Fleeing Buenos Aires

I'm so sorry to hear of all your troubles. I agree with everyone else, just go and be with your parents. The only 'but' I will add is that if you have a guarantor named in the contract (who you still care about) then you should arrange with the landlord to pay the fine for leaving early, which should be just a month and a half rent. Otherwise the guarantor could end up in legal problems.

Leave and don't look back. I agree with Hybrid Ambassador, don't tell them you're leaving, and don't leave your plane ticket where they can find it. Your doorman set you up. Your landlord is the guy who hired him. They have earned your distrust. Take their contact info and call and explain when you get home that you had to leave and it was an emergency.

You're not an idiot or a bad person - you're human like the rest of us, going through this adventure of life with heart and courage. Sometimes the ride gets a little crazy, but at least you don't ever have to look back thinking you were just sitting around waiting for things to get interesting. Enjoy the time with your parents - even though it's under bad circumstances, it might be just what the doctor ordered to get centered and decide your next move.

I agree with all said here. Very bad crap you had to go through, and it's a story I've heard many times here before, from people who are much older and supposedly wiser (we all know age doesn't bring wisdom, necessarily, anyway). There are many women here who prey on foreign men (as well as foreign men who prey on women, but usual it's a business transaction and the woman is consenting).

I know someone who had an affair down here (he was single) and the woman stole everything he had, including his business laptop, which had pictures of him and her on it in some compromising positions. The woman tried to blackmail him later and when he didn't pay she sent the photos to everyone in his email contact list, which of course ruined his reputation at work and he ended up losing his job and going into a downward spiral. The woman had a male accomplice and they were later arrested for doing the same thing to another gringo.

As also was said, you're young, you're in good physical condition and you haven't lost anything but a little pride perhaps and some money, which is easily replaceable over time.

Don't beat yourself up about this, it happens to the best of us.

I'd leave the deposit as well and just go, letting them know afterward you're not coming back. There is no way they'll come after you at home and the deposit should cover most of your penalty (two months breaking a lease in the first year if I remember). If you still owe a little on that after you get back, send it down via Xoom or Western Union or something and count yourself paid up.

I know someone who had an affair down here (he was single) and the woman stole everything he had, including his business laptop, which had pictures of him and her on it in some compromising positions. The woman tried to blackmail him later and when he didn't pay she sent the photos to everyone in his email contact list, which of course ruined his reputation at work and he ended up losing his job and going into a downward spiral. The woman had a male accomplice and they were later arrested for doing the same thing to another gringo.

The Honey Trap is at least 5000 years old, but it still works. And some surprisingly sophisticated people have fallen for it. It's hard to detect, and if she's any good at what she does, your chances of evading the sting are very slim.

Not much to add other than head home. Make sure you learnt something from it all.

Go. Get out. There is no future where you are and you owe them nothing. Get the hell out.

Did you have a guarantor?

I'm pretty sure if you call the landlord, tell him/her your mother is ill and you need to leave Argentina immediately and you understand you will lose the security deposit, etc - there won't be any issues. And no, they can't go after you in the US nor will it affect your credit rating.

Sorry to hear about the rough time and hope you mom recovers.

Sorry to hear this but seriously, who puts money under your mattress?

Not trying to minimize your situation but all you lost was some money and some stuff. I agree that it sounds like the doorman set you up. If it were me, I'd walk out the front door and throw the keys back inside behind me, get on a plane, and go home to take care of my parents.

You've had an interesting experience that you can learn from if you want and a great story that you can tell the rest of your life.

Best of luck to you and best wishes for your mom's fast recovery.

GS

Back