Fleeing Buenos Aires

You didn't make any mistakes by getting engaged at a younger age. Lots of people marry at a young age and have a lifetime of marriage. My brother got married at age 21 and has been married for almost 20 years with three children and has a good marriage. If you fall in love with someone, marry them and be happy. There's not law that says at what age you should get married.

As far as the thing with the cheating goes, if someone has a double life, that can happen at any age. You can marry someone, and they can have a double life that not even their own family knows about. That can literally happen to almost anyone at any age. Don't feel so bad. Be glad that you discovered it before you got married. I friend of mine married (a very sensible girl) and found that her husband had a double life a few months later when she started to live with him. The physical abuse began later. Not even his family or friends knew about the double life he had. It happens--you cannot always detect it.

I say this to hopefully encourage you moving forward. Yes, you shouldn't have divulged too much information. But it's not like you were in a wonderful situation and were thinking clearly. Don't feel too badly.

It's more likely that the owner where you are renting will just move on if you do. The big worry in Argentina for an owner is if the person stays in the place without paying. But if you leave, the owner can at least get another renter and will likely be okay with it. It might be a good idea to go ahead to arrange to get out of the country, and then call the renter and explain your situation. Probably the owner knew this could happen at any time since you are foreigner, and if not, wouldn't have rented to you for worry that you might leave. On the contrary, owners here are usually just relieved to know that A) tenant will pay, and B) if not, that they will leave.

Anybody is welcome to put money under my mattress.

If_you_know_what_I_mean.png

Sorry to what happened to you! Regarding the apartment situation as far as I understand the legal situation for a two year contracts is like this:

You end the contract between month 6-11 = you pay 1 1/2 month rent penalty
You end the contract after 12 months = you pay 1 month rent as a penalty

And you have to notify the realtor/owner 30 days in advance.

So you just pay one month (which most likely equals the amount of your security deposit) - or a month and a half if you leave before completing the 12 months. So worst case you pay them half a months rent in addition to the deposit they already have (if the apartment is in good shape and needs no repairs of course).

One thing to keep in mind if you just leave without notifying is that they might go after your "garantes" (if you have any). They usually require two garantes when signing the lease and they can go after the garantes when you don't pay your rent. The info about garantes should be on your rental contract.

Back