Flights and Entry Fee

polostar88

Registered
Sorry to ask this...but why are flights from the US to Argentina so expensive right now?? Does anyone have suggestions for finding cheaper flights? I've been checking all kinds of websites...it's about $1200 or so at least

Also, are they really charging this $140 fee, or have they delayed that? Is it possible that it's included in the price of the flight and that's why the flight is more expensive?

I got good deals with Carbone Travel - it's a smallish NYC travel agency specializing in Argentina. I've mostly dealt with them by phone (1-800-ARGENTINA) and found them very helpful.

Sorry to say that the entry fee is not included in the ticket price, but payable on arrival. It is good for ten years or until your current passport expires.

polostar88 said:
Sorry to ask this...but why are flights from the US to Argentina so expensive right now?? Does anyone have suggestions for finding cheaper flights? I've been checking all kinds of websites...it's about $1200 or so at least

Also, are they really charging this $140 fee, or have they delayed that? Is it possible that it's included in the price of the flight and that's why the flight is more expensive?

I have noticed the same thing. Flights are about $1200 no matter what dates you choose. I used to be able to find flights for around $850, but those seem to have disappeared.

There are some occasional travel deals (try following the airlines on Twitter for announcements) but they seem to go quickly.

And yes, the $140 is paid once you get to Ezeiza.

polostar88 said:

I think flights generally have been going up for a variety of reasons

1. Summer time in the North, always higher prices.

2. Oil has increased somewhat in the past two months, and the fuell surcharges have been resumed after a period of suspension.

3. Corrections in the market after the lower prices from last year´s downturn when demand was lower.

4. Need for airlines to recoup prices from around the world after losses from their Euro legs due to Icelandic volcano.

5. General heating up of inflation this year.

6. Airlines have reduced capacity in order to reduce the number of empty seats on flights. Fewer available seats and fewer flights translates into higher fares and crowded plane.

7. Because of the stronger US dollar and the improvement of the economy, more middle and upper class American kids are swamping Argentina this UScollege summer. I have never seen so many US kids in the winter here as there are now in Mendoza.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27440407/

http://www.examiner.com/x-24883-Sac...d-fees-are-expected-to-rise-for-summer-travel

I came here six months ago and it was the same price then. About 9 months ago I was able to find a flight for $850-ish, but it was on a much smaller plane with fewer accommodations (as few accommodations as there are on airplanes for such long flights).

I assume the $140 you are talking about is the entry fee? The entry fee is only fair since it is only charged (I believe) to countries who force Argentine citizens to get visas (and thus pay that same fee) to enter their country. It is not included in the price of the ticket; you have to pay for it when you enter Argentina and the airlines have nothing to do with this. And as already mentioned, it's good for ten years.

Check out Lan.com Takes a bit of hunting. They have a "Special" that says NYC--> Ba for $859 + tax. Of course when i put in dates you cannot find that price (click on the one that says "alternate dates" option. So I instead clicked through for the cheapest I found (about $1,089) because I wanted to see what the taxes were. Comes out to about $1100. But I would suggest calling directly as they may be able to find the $859 fare.

Or perhaps try buying separate legs and hoping price goes down on the return?

Back