Flying Aerolineas Argentina - Resident Or Not?

I hit quote, but don't see the quote. Anyway, I have almost no relatives here; all are still in Argentina so can have the DNI "card" mailed to one of those addresses. I have no paperwork from Argentina, but at least do have my Argentine birth certificate so would think that would be enough maybe to get me one of those DNI "cards" eventually. Otherwise it's a crazy price what one has to pay for in-country airline tickets. Or maybe I can't get one since I was made a citizen of the US when I got here at 3 years of age(maybe I don't have dual citizenship like my older sister), but for some odd reason my sister who was 11 years old when we came to the US years ago only got a "green card" or something. Very odd.

Does anyone know if "larger" hotels do the same thing price wise as the airlines re. DNI/no DNI.

Thanks, again. Such a nice little site. Kind of making me "home sick". :)

My wife is also a US citizen and resident, but had no trouble getting a new DNI.

It's a gamble, I once flew with an Argentine who was not only born here but grew up here till marriage, spoke perfect castellano, but was flying on a US passport. They charged her the US reciprocity fee though they clearly weren't supposed to, because she wasn't ready to put up a fight. Finding out the DNI number - definitely has one - and having at least a copy of her birth certificate would help things a great deal.

My wife has frequently entered with her US passport, but has never had to pay the retaliation fee because the passport says she was born in Argentina.

As far as I know, hotels do not charge different rates based on residency. Never heard of it and although I didn't stay in too many hotels here, I stayed in the Sheraton on Cordoba once and wasn't aware of different prices, nor have heard any people I've known over years complain about it.

I was browsing the website of the renowned Estancia la Margarita, and at the bottom of their page they have an offer for the holidays of 11-13th October whose price is "only for Argentine citizens and/or Argentine residents". I suppose this is more like an exception of an independent lodging business, and that big hotels such as Sheraton could not pull up such an excuse.

Quote: I was browsing the website of the renowned Estancia la Margarita, and at the bottom of their page they have an offer for the holidays of 11-13th October whose price is "only for Argentine citizens and/or Argentine residents". I suppose this is more like an exception of an independent lodging business, and that big hotels such as Sheraton could not pull up such an excuse.

One only sees that offer if one goes to the Spanish version. There is a special in the English version, but if one multiplies the offer by 8 to convert to pesos, it's twice as much. I was on some other estancia site closer to Bueno Aires and don't even think there was a Spanish version of the site. It would only take dollars/certain currencies. All of the B&B's I found in Bueno Aires were the same.

Found some B&B's that will take pesos, but then they will charge the "rack"/"BAR" rate which ends up being not good. What I don't understand is how a normal, hard working Argentinian is able to go anywhere if most B&B's won't take pesos and if they do, want to charge the rack price. What am I missing here? :)

I think that if you email the place directly, they will say that they accept pesos. As long as it's domestic and not an international ticket out of Arg, they should take pesos from whomever!

I hit quote, but don't see the quote. Anyway, I have almost no relatives here; all are still in Argentina so can have the DNI "card" mailed to one of those addresses. I have no paperwork from Argentina, but at least do have my Argentine birth certificate

Ceci, please check your birth certificate, your DNI number should/could be there. With that in hand, things should be definitely easier when you will try to obtain your own DNI card.

My wife and I flew Aerolineas Argentinas back in 2011 to go to Miami and then on from there to visit my mom and family after my father ( ironically a former airline captian ) had passed away due to illness.

It was an ok experience, our departure was almost an hour late but I've heard of alot of problems with them from others, losing luggage, last minute cancellations, various other problems. They employ aging ex Air Canada and Lufthansa fleet early series Airbus A340-313x's and A340-200's...huge planes, although they recently aquired a new A330-300. The planes were old but ok. The entertainment system didn't work the entire flight, the onboard meal was "typical" but since then we've taken LANArgentina and the difference to us is like night and day. Better service, more comfort etc....

I went to Iguazu a few months ago and purchased the ticket directly on the AArg site. I do not have a DNI or any residency currently. It offered the option to pay at Rapipago in cash - I had no issues! I have heard stories of other experiences, though.

Back