Flying Aerolineas Argentina - Resident Or Not?

Yesterday, I booked a ticket with Aerolineas (flying to Trelew - no other airline flies directly otherwise I would have gone with LAN in a heartbeat!) and because it was a domestic flight, I could pay in pesos at the official rate!! Which made it quite affordable even though I'm a foreigner. Like 500 pesos more than the local price (and 450 more than a 20 hour bus riding cama suite to Trelew!)

[...]
Does anyone know if "larger" hotels do the same thing price wise as the airlines re. DNI/no DNI.
[...]

As far as I know, hotels do not charge different rates based on residency. Never heard of it and although I didn't stay in too many hotels here, I stayed in the Sheraton on Cordoba once and wasn't aware of different prices, nor have heard any people I've known over years complain about it.

As far as I know, hotels do not charge different rates based on residency. Never heard of it and although I didn't stay in too many hotels here, I stayed in the Sheraton on Cordoba once and wasn't aware of different prices, nor have heard any people I've known over years complain about it.

Hotels debit international CC in Dollars for tourist reservations and stay. Some tourists use the international CC for the reservation but pay for the stay and room charges in Pesos (Blue pesos) at $8,50 pesos per dollar :cool: With a 90 % spread

Yes, the reason that differences exist for air travel is that the state subsidizes domestic flights (from residents). As there are no subsidies for hotels (yet), you pay the market price.

Hotels debit CC in Dollars for tourist reservations and stay. Some tourists use the CC for the reservation but pay for the stay and room charges in Pesos (Blue pesos) :cool:
Yeah, but I was answering under the question if hotels charge a different rate based on residency as the airlines do.

If you go to a hotel and pay in cash (leaving aside alternate possibilities of how one pays for it), the hotel will not present you with two different prices based on your residency status. Anyone here with dollars (Argentine citizen/resident or not) can take advantage of buying pesos at the blue rate and effectively get the same rate no matter which residency status you have.

Everything is well complicated in Argentina, it's hard to answer a question completely in black and white, but as far as I know, hotels themselves don't charge two different prices based on residency :)

Yes, everything does seem very complicated. My sister doesn't like complicated, but she is the thrifty type so guess she better get use to complicated for the 3 weeks she will be there.

It's going to be hard to figure out how much money to take since doesn't seem like the safest country so would make me nervous to take too much, but then if one uses an ATM one doesn't get the blue rate exchange. Then using that Xoom company to transfer money with a better exchange comes with its own complications. Reminds me when I went to Cuba and didn't realize the exchange rate was so very bad, couldn't use an ATM since US bank card, so by the end of the trip we were counting every single peso. Very beautiful country, but very depressed; not just monetarily, but also psychologically. Never in my travels have I ever noticed that in a country.

Thanks again for all the responses.

I can complicated things even further by advicing that if you go to Patagonia you may get a discount if you pay in cash rather than with a CC.

I can only talk about my geographical area, but I would think that it would apply for the rest of Argentina as well. The explanation I got is that it can take several months for the funds to go from being pulled by VISA or AmEx to arriving in the business' account.

Yeah, but I was answering under the question if hotels charge a different rate based on residency as the airlines do.

If you go to a hotel and pay in cash (leaving aside alternate possibilities of how one pays for it), the hotel will not present you with two different prices based on your residency status. Anyone here with dollars (Argentine citizen/resident or not) can take advantage of buying pesos at the blue rate and effectively get the same rate no matter which residency status you have.

Everything is well complicated in Argentina, it's hard to answer a question completely in black and white, but as far as I know, hotels themselves don't charge two different prices based on residency :)

I was answering for the best way for tourists to reduce the Hotel bill substantially by paying in cash Pesos obtained at the Arbolitos on Florida St.
Some tourists pay for the hotel in advance and come with a voucher :eek:

Asking on behalf of a friend, They are currently here in Argentina that was born in Argentina but moved to the US when really young so doesn't have her DNI or passport but it says Argentina as the country of birth in her US passport, I'm assuming though she will need to track down her birth certificate if she wants to take advantage of getting her DNI so she can take advantage of these benefits? (this and being visa free to other countries is why she wants it.

Asking on behalf of a friend, They are currently here in Argentina that was born in Argentina but moved to the US when really young so doesn't have her DNI or passport but it says Argentina as the country of birth in her US passport, I'm assuming though she will need to track down her birth certificate if she wants to take advantage of getting her DNI so she can take advantage of these benefits? (this and being visa free to other countries is why she wants it.

It's a gamble, I once flew with an Argentine who was not only born here but grew up here till marriage, spoke perfect castellano, but was flying on a US passport. They charged her the US reciprocity fee though they clearly weren't supposed to, because she wasn't ready to put up a fight. Finding out the DNI number - definitely has one - and having at least a copy of her birth certificate would help things a great deal.

Back