Flying Aerolineas Argentina - Resident Or Not?

Before Menim sold them for a song and the Spanish gutted all of hard assets and cash , AR was a pretty descent airlines. And moderately profitable too. Pitty it will never recover.

It can recover, it just needs new management.

Hello,

I know this is kind of an old thread, but ... . My sister is a dual citizen of US/Argentina. She was born in Argentina, but hasn't been back for about 40 years. She still has her old DNI card and a very expired Argentinian passport(about 22 years old). She is going to go visit Argentina in November of this year and gong to take some domestic flights. She wants to book one of them now. Can she use her old DNI card and book discounted rate tickets for the in-country flights or would that be not kosher? Her husband who is not Argentinian is going with her and they would buy him a non-discounted ticket.They will be taking Aerolíneas Argentinas for the in-country flights. Yes, I know, not great airline,but has to take it due to schedule or something.

Thanks,
Ceci

The DNI number is forever, the DNI booklet will be valid only until 12/31 of this year. You should suggest your sister to take advantage of her visit to request the new plastic DNI. She has to book an appointment online in order to do so.

She's an Argentine citizen so of course she can use her DNI and get the discounted rate.

Oh wow, thanks for such quick replies.

I thought she could use it, but wasn't sure since the actual card is soooooooooooooo old. I will tell her to get a new one and investigate if somehow I can get mine without being there(probably not) since one day would like to visit too. I don't have my card, don't know what happened to it. I was only 4 when came to the US so don't remember anything, but she was about 11 so remembers lots and has wanted to go for the longest time.

Is it OK if I ask other questions? You know, tips and stuff. :)

For the new DNI you have to apply in person, you should call your Argentinian consulate in the US to do so unless you come here. Please note that the new DNI will be mailed to you, and that you should provide an address in Argentina in order to receive it.

The old booklet didn't have an expiration date, they are upgrading from paper to digital in these months, and Dec 31st is the cut-off date.

I hit quote, but don't see the quote. Anyway, I have almost no relatives here; all are still in Argentina so can have the DNI "card" mailed to one of those addresses. I have no paperwork from Argentina, but at least do have my Argentine birth certificate so would think that would be enough maybe to get me one of those DNI "cards" eventually. Otherwise it's a crazy price what one has to pay for in-country airline tickets. Or maybe I can't get one since I was made a citizen of the US when I got here at 3 years of age(maybe I don't have dual citizenship like my older sister), but for some odd reason my sister who was 11 years old when we came to the US years ago only got a "green card" or something. Very odd.

Does anyone know if "larger" hotels do the same thing price wise as the airlines re. DNI/no DNI.

Thanks, again. Such a nice little site. Kind of making me "home sick". :)

Quote: And a new government.

That is so sad since it seems it never changes. My mother went back to Argentina about 23 years ago because my father who had gone back to live there was killed. They owned a chacra where they grew yerba mate so she had to get all that straightened out and sell the land. That involved paying off a lot of people otherwise she probably would have gotten nothing or spent the rest of her life fighting with the people there and the government.

Back