Flying home for Christmas

El Duderino

Registered
I wasn't originally planning on going home, but now I'm toying with the idea.

Roundtrip to Chicago for about $1257 right now, with a stop in D.C.

Is that a pretty good deal? Should I buy now before fares increase?

(goddamn flights are expensive :( )

I would hop on that right now.

It will be US$1,500 in a week or two and more after that.

That's not bad, I just flew direct to Miami for about that price. I probably waited a little too long to buy the ticket, but I've never seen it under a thousand in recent years.

From my experience prices do not go down as you approach the date, and they do tend to sell out. I was surprised to find the plane very nearly full in the middle of October.

Yep, what the others said. $1300 roundtrip seems about as good as you're going to get for that time of year, to me. I paid $1500 for a roundtrip to St Louis at Christmastime last year and I bought it far in advance. I never saw the price get lower as the date got closer and I think it topped out around double what I paid. I paid around $1200 roundtrip to St Louis last month, also well in advance, and I think it went up to around $2500 as the dates approached.

Eclair said:
That's not bad, I just flew direct to Miami for about that price. I probably waited a little too long to buy the ticket, but I've never seen it under a thousand in recent years.

From my experience prices do not go down as you approach the date, and they do tend to sell out. I was surprised to find the plane very nearly full in the middle of October.

I'm flying to Miami next month and my flight was 550. I went twice before this year and I paid about 900. Right now on despegar you can find hundreds of flights under 1000 (final price).

That's a nice website, but I don't really see anything significantly different from what I paid. I only fly direct which limits me to LAN, AA, or AArg. Perhaps I should have been more clear about the route. :)

I probably could have gotten a slightly better deal if I had bought earlier, but $1200 for a flight seems about standard... especially since it's a long stay and my return date is right around the holidays.

I'd rather pay more and not have to deal with connections and various Latin American airports if I can avoid it. :) Some of those deals have 24 hours of travel time! (without delays!) :eek:

super cheap! i got it on despegar in april. i'm flying tam airlines.
i don't mind having a connection in a latin american airport. i don't find them worse than american airports.

Like Eclair, I don't do layovers and usually find my flights to NY or Miami are between 1200 and 1500 USD. Can't remember the last time I paid less than that.

Layovers can certainly reduce the cost but for me, making a long flight even longer + added stress of sitting in an airport + increased risk of flight delays and/or lost bags = not at all worth saving the few hundred dollars.

Well, I'm going to St. Louis (via Chicago), and it's not possible to get direct flights to St. Louis, or Chicago for that matter!

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

Back