Food prices are amongst the highest of the planet

Quilombo you are 100% right. In 2003 a coffee and three medialunas was 1 dollar or 2.80 pesos now its close to 5 dollars or 5000 pesos nearly 5 times as much . Have the minimum wage gone up since then no . It was higher in 2003 in Argentina than now in 2024 !
In September 2002 I paid AR$ 2.50 (US$ 0.82) for a coffee and three medialunas at the corner of Avenida Callao and Sarmiento in Buenos Aires.
I remember it so clearly because it was my first breakfast in Argentina.

In September 2002 I paid AR$ 2.50 (US$ 0.82) for a coffee and three medialunas at the corner of Avenida Callao and Sarmiento in Buenos Aires.
I remember it so clearly because it was my first breakfast in Argentina.

Great buy that means today ARS$ 1054 . The current price for coffee and 3 medialunas is more or less three times that value.

Great buy that means today ARS$ 1054 . The current price for coffee and 3 medialunas is more or less three times that value.
Coffee and three medialunas is around 5000 pesos in good coffee shops of 4 dollars . The cost of living is at least 3 times more expensive in us dollars than 2003 ,

Coffee and three medialunas is around 5000 pesos in good coffee shops of 4 dollars . The cost of living is at least 3 times more expensive in us dollars than 2003 ,
Where in the world is the cost of living NOT significantly more expensive than it was in 2003?

Even at a 5% average inflation rate $100 USD in 2003 bought 3x of the same goods and services as $100 USD does in 2024.

I'm frequently in California, including earlier this month, and let me tell you, Ralphs/Vons/Walmart, hell, even certain items at CVS and Whole Foods are substantially cheaper than here, and the salaries are nowhere near as low. It was shocking just how cheap things were, even eating out was cheaper, and this was California, not known for being cheap in the US.

1 small example: I bought caesar dressing at Ralphs, $1.99 a bottle, can't come close to that at Dia, even for similar basic condiments such as ketchup. It made me depressed thinking about how much money I was going to have to spend when I came back home to BsAs to go grocery shopping, and I have a good job, forget the average Argentines who are barely earning $500 a month.

The Mileification of the economy is turning us in to Ireland alright, just in terms of food prices, nothing else. It's truly the worst of both worlds, we have sky high prices, limited selections, shortages of goods, and the things we do get are often of poor quality compared to the US and Europe.

But hey, he's owning the libs so I guess that's the price of freedom...
I lived in California, but were you in a different place called California than the one where I lived (in LA)? Prices have risen here in Buenos Aire but are still much, much lower than in Buenos Aires.

What would success look like for Milei haters? Almost every category of food from beef to fried chicken is significantly cheaper here than the rest of the world

OK, I admit, rice is slightly more dear. (20 cents per kilo) and Thai food is expensive. So are we just a cheap Pad Thai away from y'all admitting Milei is doing well ?

People who wish Argentina would crash and burn just because they dislike the democratically elected president are evil
Gaslighting 1000%

I now remember that the same or next day a 3 dishes Menu Executive cost AR$ 9.50 including a glass of wine or a gaseosa, and coffee.

Where in the world is the cost of living NOT significantly more expensive than it was in 2003?

Even at a 5% average inflation rate $100 USD in 2003 bought 3x of the same goods and services as $100 USD does in 2024.
Sure - the problem is that wages in Argentina aren't 3x what they were in 2002/3, measured in foreign currence like US$, SFR or EU€.

Sure - the problem is that wages in Argentina aren't 3x what they were in 2002/3, measured in foreign currence like US$, SFR or EU€.
The wages are lower today in 2024 than in 2002 making these arguments obselete . The minimum wage in the USA is over 9 times higher than Argentina but food prices are virtiually the same !

Back