Food revolution bypasses Buenos Aires

CHEESE:

I just returned from the DISCO on Quintana in Recoleta (b/n Rodrigquez Peña & Callao right next to the whorehouse "Shampoo") and I logged onto this site for the specific reason of talking about CHEESE. Sometimes I've got great timing.

So in keeping with nice foods being available in wealthy neighborhoods, I wanted to point out that the CHEESE section in this DISCO is LOADED!!!!! You have a ton of options and many are from Tandil.

I am currently enjoying a slab of "Queso danbo FERMIER" (AR$42.90/kg). My little slab costs AR$5.23 and is quite creamy. I walked home from the store (~15-20 blocks), so the cheese is at room temperature. It's kind of like a gouda with a few tiny air bubbles.

I also picked up a "Artesanal" Camembert from Argentine. (I selected the style make with green pepper corns.) There were tons of cheeses already cut or that are made in individual sizes and even more varieties behind the glass counter.

This is arguably the biggest DISCO that I know of and definitely the nicest. The wine selection is huge, the fruit selection is large, if not overly varied, and they have fish on ice in the back.

They have a large selection of pricey imported beers (I bottle of bottle of Becks, because I like it: 330ml bottle for AR$5.99) and they even have spices and sauces. I bought something called WERDER (Feinkost) "Curry Ketchup". At AR$8.74 for a 450ml bottle, I wanted to see if it is a German version of KC/Texas style BBQ sauce.

LASTLY: Many of these items may be available at JUMBO, because it is owned by the same company. (My Fermier cheese label even says "Jumbo Retail Argentina" on it in small print.

Good luck and happy shopping.

To continue with the Cheese posts:

The Camembert I bought was:

"Pré Vert"
Queso Cambembert
(Pimienta)

It has powdered green pepper (from green peppercorn) on the outside of the cheese. It's pretty tasty. I's from "La Laguna" in Córdoba province.

ALSO:

Regarding Tandil and the good cheese that comes from there, I think that there's an explanation if this Wikipedia entry is to be believed.

With the annihilation and expulsion of the original inhabitants, "Conquest of the Desert", European presence became stronger in Tandil, receiving a large number of immigrants from various countries in Europe.

The vast majority of immigrants came from Spain and Italy but also Basque and Danish people settled, the latter constituting a very active community.

I believe that I read (within the last 5 years) that Denmark has the highest per-capita cheese consumption in the world. They know a thing or two about making good cheese.

All this food talk made me hungry ;) I went today to the new CBC restaurant and had an awesome burrito with all the fixings: super yummi and the place is big and has a gorgeous terrace. In case anybody is interested: California Burrito Co: Godoy Cruz 1781 ( y Gorriti ) Palermo.

Speaking of CBC in "Soho" (I still cringe when I use that term), there is a Mexican taqueria on Gorriti between Thames & Serrano. And the funny thing was/is that my ENGLISH friends found it. Having lived pretty much my entire life in Texas & California before here, I find that funny.

A bucket of 5 Coronas is only AR$35. Not bad. And the menu is pretty basic, which is totally appropriate for a taqueria. Carne asada tacos ~AR$7 or AR$8 (can't remember) and they have hot sauce from mild to hot. And the hot was hot.

Napoleon said:
Speaking of CBC in "Soho" (I still cringe when I use that term), there is a Mexican taqueria on Gorriti between Thames & Serrano. And the funny thing was/is that my ENGLISH friends found it. Having lived pretty much my entire life in Texas & California before here, I find that funny.

A bucket of 5 Coronas is only AR$35. Not bad. And the menu is pretty basic, which is totally appropriate for a taqueria. Carne asada tacos ~AR$7 or AR$8 (can't remember) and they have hot sauce from mild to hot. And the hot was hot.

Do you mean the one with neon lights and metal dinner like outside? That one caught my attention too, actually there are several mexican places within two blocks, competition there will get interesting :)

Yep, that one.

And there is another Mexican place on Thames just a door or two from that Gorriti corner towards Cabrera.

There's Cielito Lindo on Thames & Honduras (I think) and there's also Mexican place (for the time being) on Godoy Cruz just off of Honduras. Then a few more within a couple of blocks of each other on the other side of Plaza Serrano.

I'm thinking that there are so many American tourists that think Argentine food will be like Mexican food visiting the Soho area, that many of these places can stay in bidniz. Now, if I only lived closer to there.

:cool:

Napoleon said:
Yep, that one.

And there is another Mexican place on Thames just a door or two from that Gorriti corner towards Cabrera.

There's Cielito Lindo on Thames & Honduras (I think) and there's also Mexican place (for the time being) on Godoy Cruz just off of Honduras. Then a few more within a couple of blocks of each other on the other side of Plaza Serrano.

I'm thinking that there are so many American tourists that think Argentine food will be like Mexican food visiting the Soho area, that many of these places can stay in bidniz. Now, if I only lived closer to there.

:cool:

Yeah, it leaves you wondering. however I see it as a good option for middle age groups going out for a drink and a snack as they are relatively affordable ( otherwise you only have the burger chains or some pizzerias ) It just surprised me to see so many Mexican food places in a very small area, also, some of them only opened this year ( or the last months of the last year ) when the tourism decline was a reality... I see them as a good and healthier alternative to junk food ( prices are similar )

If a restaurant like this opened up in BsAs, I'm sure it would be a hit. The prices seemed extremely moderate and the sauces available counted 8 to 10. They also mentioned variety that you just can't find here.

http://jonesgoodassbbqandfootmassage.com/

Maybe they are willing to franchise the concept.

Interesting thread. Most countries I've lived in (France, Denmark... ) there are shops you can get English food - Colman's mustard, Branston pickle, that sort of stuff.
Never found ANYWHERE to buy Brit food in BA - have I missed somewhere??

Back