Food revolution bypasses Buenos Aires

mini said:
...Last night I made penne, tonight we are going to Hermann's to try the "fish & chips"...

I am afraid that most who complain about food here aren't likely to crave or enjoy penne (pasta) or fish and chips, though I love em' both (and make 'em, too..along with American potato salad and cole slaw).

steveinbsas said:
I am afraid that most who complain about food here aren't likely to crave or enjoy penne (pasta) or fish and chips, though I love em' both (and make 'em, too).

What do they like? What are they craving? "Ethnic food"? Or choice?

I make "ethnic food" too, not just penne.... & have made it here even. So, I certainly agree with you that you can probably make anything you want with what you find in the stores here. My point was that I cook & go out to eat. We do both & I think both should be yummy, diverse & of high quality.

I'm just not sure what we are arguing about.....

(ETA: by the way, 'they' DO crave fish & chips. there was a thread on this not to long ago which is where I got the craving from!)

Then, I think each should cook a special meal at home and invite the rest over - to avoid blandness and dopey waiters ;) You can leave tips if you like :) See, instead of doing expats dinners or lunch at restaurants, it should be at somebody´s ( I assure you that my meals are not bland, muahahhaha )

nikad said:
Then, I think each should cook a special meal at home and invite the rest over - to avoid blandness and dopey waiters ;) You can leave tips if you like :) See, instead of doing expats dinners or lunch at restaurants, it should be at somebody´s ( I assure you that my meals are not bland, muahahhaha )

I agree. All of those who have ever thanked me (previously) are invited to my place (six at a time) for a pasta dinner with Argentine mystery meat sauce (actually created by Tony H.).

steveinbsas said:
I agree. All of those who have ever thanked me (previously) are invited to my place (six at a time) for a pasta dinner with Argentine mystery meat sauce.
lol just thanked you to get a seat ;) now the mystery meat makes me all curious! I will ask tonight what is it that I cook... I am so humble ;)

nikad said:
lol just thanked you to get a seat ;) now the mystery meat makes me all curious! I will ask tonight what is it that I cook... I am so humble ;)

Oops, nikita, you posted a nanosecond after I edited my post to credit the original chef...

Are you sure you still want to come, even though there has been one cancellation? (Ray L can't make it, though his thoughts will be with us.)

steveinbsas said:
Oops, nikita, you posted a nanosecond after I edited my post to credit the original chef...

Are you sure you still want to come, even though there has been one cancellation? (Ray L can't make it, though his thoughts will be with us.)
omg that totally discourages me :p

nikad said:
( I assure you that my meals are not bland, muahahhaha )

So why be discouraged, nikita? Brain food is the rage, isn't it, even in Argentina?

My meals aren't bland, either...except perhaps to the tasteless..

Or mindless.

As if there's any difference.

steveinbsas said:
So why be discouraged, nikita? Brain food is the rage, isn't it, even in Argentina?

My meals aren't bland, either...except perhaps to the tasteless..

Or mindless.

As if there's any difference.

way to go :) ;)

Syngirl,
Noone here has been able to be specific about where to get decent cheese despite requests for this information on this website. It doesn't have to be imported. I'd be happy for good local cheese however the selection is paltry. I know Velenti and I have yet to find anything better. I don't believe there is.

Product safety standards are very high in the US. Of course there will be occasional problems. Just consider the huge quantity of food that is produced and sold. What I have seen in BA over many years is not impressive as far as availability of good quality vegetables, dairy products and variety of food in general. Accessability of products is another problem. People here often write on this website that good quality products are available somewhere but obtaining them would be a full time job.

Back