Food revolution bypasses Buenos Aires

nikad said:
Then, I think each should cook a special meal at home and invite the rest over - to avoid blandness and dopey waiters ;) You can leave tips if you like :) See, instead of doing expats dinners or lunch at restaurants, it should be at somebody´s ( I assure you that my meals are not bland, muahahhaha )

I would love that! I love to feed people.... You will not leave hungry!

sergio said:
Syngirl,
Noone here has been able to be specific about where to get decent cheese despite requests for this information on this website. It doesn't have to be imported. I'd be happy for good local cheese however the selection is paltry. I know Velenti and I have yet to find anything better. I don't believe there is.

Product safety standards are very high in the US. Of course there will be occasional problems. Just consider the huge quantity of food that is produced and sold. What I have seen in BA over many years is not impressive as far as availability of good quality vegetables, dairy products and variety of food in general. Accessability of products is another problem. People here often write on this website that good quality products are available somewhere but obtaining them would be a full time job.

Off the top of my head, here you can get some good cheeses http://www.furmai.com.ar

DON COSME Avda. Córdoba 6317 - Cap.
tel: 4553-5258
e-mail: [email protected]

La Picada del Japonés
Cochabamba 1701 esq. Solís
4304-4841

Mini, Can you honestly tell me if these places have a lot more to offer than Velenti in Patio Bullrich? They're all very inconvenient to me however if they really have sone great cheese and good variety I will make the effort. It's hard to imagine, though, that they have more than the fanciest cheese store/fiambres store in Buenos Aires. I just don't want to waste time and energy to find out they have have less than I can get at Velenti.

sergio said:
Mini, Can you honestly tell me if these places have a lot more to offer than Velenti in Patio Bullrich? They're all very inconvenient to me however if they really have sone great cheese and good variety I will make the effort. It's hard to imagine, though, that they have more than the fanciest cheese store/fiambres store in Buenos Aires. I just don't want to waste time and energy to find out they have have less than I can get at Velenti.

I think you mean Nikad. I don't know where to find good cheese. I've tried some but they are not my cup of tea. I've heard that you can get good home made/artisan cheeses at the Matadores market but haven't been there.

sergio said:

I don´t know if the have more, but certainly different cheeses. If you do not like to explore then I guess it will be hard for you to find variety. Some of these places will deliver though.

Can s .o explain the difference in flavour:
Argentinean asado versus Texan BBQ?

Nikad, I have no objection to exploring but I don't like to waste time and energy unnecessarily. I just wanted to have some assurance that I would find a greater variety of cheese and BETTER cheese than I can get at Vanenti. Valenti is fine but limited in variety and I really miss some of the variety I can get in Europe and the US. After many years in Argentina I have not been able to find much good cheese here. The best was in Tandil where they make cheese. Hard to believe that you can't find good cheese shops in the richest parts of BA.

sergio said:
Nikad, I have no objection to exploring but I don't like to waste time and energy unnecessarily. I just wanted to have some assurance that I would find a greater variety of cheese and BETTER cheese than I can get at Vanenti. Valenti is fine but limited in variety and I really miss some of the variety I can get in Europe and the US. After many years in Argentina I have not been able to find much good cheese here. The best was in Tandil where they make cheese. Hard to believe that you can't find good cheese shops in the richest parts of BA.

Perhaps you should actually move to Europe to enjoy the coffee, cheese, and whatever else you find superior there. Just who do you expect to provide the "assurances" that you desire?

Back