For those that thought Spanish was/is difficult to learn...

rrptownley

Registered
...it could be worse:

Hard-Languages-To-Learn.png

That's not entirely accurate or that black and white, and does depend on what constitutes "learning a language".

For example, Thai & Japanese I found easier to learn speaking basics than Spanish. I'd hazard that a few others are the same.

So lovely graphic, not so simple to measure as they've tried.

I've never thought spanish that hard. The vocabulary is very very similar and once you learn the basic 12 or so verb forms you have can conjugate pretty much every verb minus a handful of irregulars that are really not that difficult.

Not saying, I don't struggle sometimes (for some reason I just cannot seem to say el problema) but its just a question of practice.

I always figured that english would be much harder for a spanish speaker than spanish is for us, but a lot of spanish speakers have disagreed with me.

It also depends how it's taught. When I taught EFL to absolute beginners, grammar didn't come into the equation until a couple of weeks down the track. Sure, they learn grammar as they're learning how to say certain things in certain situations, but you don't conduct grammar lessons until they have a basic grasp of vocab and basic sentences.

On the other hand, when I started Spanish classes here as an absolute beginner, I was thrown grammar lessons on my third day, and I'm sitting there thinking I have no idea as I don't even know what the words are within this sentence structure we're discussing. It became very frustrating.

So maybe in my limited experience of languages, the ones that seemed a little "easier" were also the ones where you were able to learn in a more natural way. Not really sure, as I'm no language expert that's for sure! ;)

Quick very very basic rule when teaching Spanish to foreigners..... ALL THE WORDS THAT END WITH EMA, are MALE.... Hope it helps! (don't mind the exceptions)

angelskywalker said:
Quick very very basic rule when teaching Spanish to foreigners..... ALL THE WORDS THAT END WITH EMA, are MALE.... Hope it helps! (don't mind the exceptions)
Kind of, sort of, maybe. "problema" and "tema" are male but "quema" and "yema" are both feminine. Doesn't seem so cut and dry.

One rule for exceptions is: Most Greek derivatives ending in -ma, -pa, -ta are masculine (tema, mapa, poeta). Another: nouns with the suffix -dad, -tad, -tud,-ción and -ez
are feminine (la libertad,, la realidad, la creación, la niñez).

I've been here from the beginning of the year and speak a few languages - I'm too lazy to take classes so I am picking it up as I go - depending on how fast the people are talking I find I can now understand about 50% of what is said - especially the bad words :) With time I think I will continue to pick it up - for me its all about exposure to the language and I am getting a lot of that...

rrptownley, where is German in that list? I'd put it in the "closely related" category. But I can't tell for sure since I'm not a native speaker of English (I know some German).

PhilipDT said:
I always figured that english would be much harder for a spanish speaker than spanish is for us, but a lot of spanish speakers have disagreed with me.

I am another Spanish speaker who will disagree with you :)
I really think English is easier for us to learn than Spanish is for English speakers. First of all, exposure to English is very easy to get, since it's everywhere (at least it's the foreign language people are most exposed to here). Secondly, verb forms in English are very easy and logical. You just have to remember to add the 's' in the third person singular (sometimes it's a tough one, I have to admit). From the point of view of inflections, English is much easier than Spanish.

Well, this is my opinion.

Now, I'm interested to know why you think English would be much harder to learn for Spanish speakers than the other way around. Just out of curiosity... :)

Cheers,

Back