For those thinking of coming

JaJa,
I can relate to the pain caused by your deteriorating financial condition, specifically, having to tighten your belt because the cost of living has grown so high compared to what it used to be a few years ago. It can be alarming, but as others have stated, the cost of living in BA for expats actually is not very high compared to other world capitols if you have foreign currency income. Of course, it doesn't help a whole hell of a lot if that foreign currency income is US$ as opposed to AU$, Canadian$, British pounds or Euros. The US $ is extremely weak now so those with US $ income may be finding that the cost of living in BA is no longer that cheap even for those things that traditionally were cheap, e.g., food, housing, local transportation (unlike clothes, house furnishings, and electro domesticos which have been more expensive in AR for quite a while now).

I spend a lot of time in Rio de Janeiro. A man's haircut at a decent barber shop in Rio costs R$50 (US$32). What does your husband pay? It costs R$25 (US$15) for a first run movie. Local buses are US$2. The taxi meter drop is US$3.
The cheapest drinkable wine in my local supermarket (from Chile or AR) is US$12. I've seen Toro Y Concho "Resevado" in BA markets for US$3. In Rio it is R$24 or US$14. I like the hot dogs that that the local deli sells - a package of 4 is $R12 or about US$8 - 2 bucks each uncooked and without the bun or a seat in which to eat it. What are they charging for a choripan on the Costa Nero these days? 5 pesos?
The local supermarket offers a decent pizza cooked and served on premises. The dinner plate sized margharita is R$17 or US$10. If you want chorizo expect to pay US$ 14. A steak dinner for 2 with bottle of cheap wine at a decent restaurant will run about US$100 - that's a decent restaurant, not a fancy one and that's s cheap bottle of wine, not a good one.
Are you beginning to get the picture? I used to rent a nice 1 bedroom a few blocks from the beach. Ten years ago my rent was US$ 600. Today that apt rents for US$ 2000. What will 8200 pesos per month get you in BA?
Expats who are looking for bargain places in which to live should be looking to other parts of AR or maybe to greener grass in Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica or even southern US cities...until the next financial upheavel produces a new good cheap place to live.

Keep in mind that if you talk in percentages, prices have gone up a lot, however after 2001 things here were VERY VERY devalued and prices were extremely cheap. Pricewise there was a lot of catching up to do, especially since so many items on the market cost international prices such as electronics, appliances and imported foods and foods which are made of raw materials that are traded as commodities such as wheat, coffee, etc. 99% of things here are MUCH cheaper than in my native New York City save for the rarity such as a bottle of coca-cola (yuk) or a can of pringles potato chips (not a necesity by far). The other problem is people who earn a peso salary are having a hard time with the prices because lets say you earn $3,000 pesos a month and you go out to dinner to an average restaurant for a plain old dinner such as a hamburger and a beer, it's gonna cost you around $50 pesos, however someone earning $3,000 dollars in the USA would be paying around $10 dollars so the numbers are skewed, I know a lot of people won't agree with this but they either need to stop devaluating the local currency OR people need to earn higher salaries or a combination of both for things to stabilize.

Very interesting discussion. I think it is important for people coming to think about these things even if it is hard to understand the comparisons without understanding the context a particular person is coming from. My intention was not to appeal to those that have a well thought-out plan but, to appeal to those coming & paying a ton in rent & spending their savings without much to show for it.

I have lived in France, Chile, and the U.S. I feel the pinch of prices the most here but, thats just me. Ironically, I seem to be meeting more people here blowing their savings than I have in these places. This message was meant for them. It was not meant for those earning foreign currencies or those who have a good reason for being here and are being smart about it. At the least it is good for those coming to read something like this, pause, and make sure they have a plan and are not coming with a false image.

Enjoy the weekend! I will be offline for the rest of mine.

I wonder would anybody move to some place with 25% inflation, bland and boring food, high crime, lots of red tape, and bad government? My guess is most people wouldn't all things being equal.

what if you were in love with a little porteña hottie

gouchobob said:
That would change everything.

The only person you are in love is yourself and your warped image .

Akabill is a hottie though ;)

Back