For Those Waiting For Their Dnis

Dumb question as I can't be bothered to search..................
I still have the booklet DNI with perm res.
What docs are required, if any, to upgrade to the card DNI? (ver 2.1)

Are you currently in Buenos Aires? I have been sweating to get my DNI but when I went down to immigrations with my papers they had told me that here are only two ways. Get married or find a company to sponsor me! How did you go about getting that Visa? If we can please meet to discuss this I would greatly appreciate it! I need to find a Yanqui just like me who had moved here to give me details.

My best,

Brad

Brad, it's a long involved process.
I started mine in 2005 and got permanent residency in 2008.
Every case is different (circumstances, I mean), so I would suggest using the forum search function as the rules may well have changed in 8 years.
Good luck.
Having said that, I did a search for upgrading to the card version for foreigners, but couldn't find anything.
Anyone got any info on the documents required or is it simply a case of applying and presenting yourself with the old booklet?

I now have the Certificado De Residencia Precaria (temporary residency) . I heard that you must be in the country for 6 months. Is that 6 consecutive months or 6 months during a 12 month period. I was planning 2 trips abroad so didn't want to muck it up after all this work to get it.

I just got my 2nd extension for my temporary residency.. now have to go apply for a new DNI card - seems though the soonest appointment is about 2 months away... anyone know if there's any quicker way to get the appointment? possible to just walk in?

You need an appointment. There are thousands of people, tens of thousands just like you, if they all just walked in whenever they felt like it, there would be chaos. I know it sucks to have to wait but it is what it is.

I just got my 2nd extension for my temporary residency.. now have to go apply for a new DNI card - seems though the soonest appointment is about 2 months away... anyone know if there's any quicker way to get the appointment? possible to just walk in?

Dumb question as I can't be bothered to search..................
I still have the booklet DNI with perm res.
What docs are required, if any, to upgrade to the card DNI? (ver 2.1)
You need to go to a Registro Civil. The one closest to you is probably Martinez or Olivos. For the Martinez branch you need to queue up for a number at 8.00 am or slightly earlier. They will do all the paperwork that day. Cost is 35 pesos. It takes 6 to 8 weeks for the document to be prepared. There is no need to go to immigrations as was previously required for permanent residents.

In my case, I just applied for residency, had it granted, and I was waiting to receive my DNI. So, I didn't know my number. According to the woman at Hipolito Yrigoyen, I had to come there "sí o sí" because they can't see the DNI numbers in Retiro -- I can't imagine that, but that's what she said. In order to retrieve the DNI from Jujuy 468, you supposedly have to know your (DNI) number first.

My last question still stands, though: Can I travel abroad with just my DNI number, expired precaria (the only "official" documentation I have at this point) and my US passport? Does anyone know?

I was in the same scenario a year ago... In the end they never even attempted to deliver it to my house, and I ended up going 4 times to the Jujuy place in Once (aka HELL). I requested my DNI in March, finally received the DNI at Jujuy on the 4th attempt in December (so *9* months later), with the expiry date being the next March, 3 months later..

During this period I only travelled abroad once, on the Buquebus to Colonia. I brought my Passport, the expired precaria, and the paper showing that I requested my DNI in March and that it was "in tramite". The people at immigrations looked at it weird, but in the end let me pass.

Back