Forex Trading

khairyexpat

Registered
Hi:

Seems that there are quiet few members of this great forum who are/ were professional traders. As a retired amateur and out of curiosity, I tried trading EUR/USD online for 8 years and never ever got anywhere. Would anyone know if trading ONLINE is different ( at a disadvantage) from institutional and professional WALL STREET traders ? Could it be done ONLINE with success?

Hi:

Seems that there are quiet few members of this great forum who are/ were professional traders. As a retired amateur and out of curiosity, I tried trading EUR/USD online for 8 years and never ever got anywhere. Would anyone know if trading ONLINE is different ( at a disadvantage) from institutional and professional WALL STREET traders ? Could it be done ONLINE with success?
Unlike stocks and bonds, FOREX is a zero sum game - meaning there has to be a loser for every winner. You're going against institutions with the best math whizzes and the fastest computers. But your odds are still better than Vegas.

Joe:

Very much appreciate you`re knowledge and curtsy. Wow, just like that, in one sentence you answered an 8 years nagging question.

I believe you, but for a layman (for my understanding) trading is trading. ALL trading should be zero sum. Why does trading STOCKS/BONDS have better odds? Why is it different? I don`t get it.

I get ads to become an Forex trader almost daily. If anyone wants, I can forward one to them, but I know nothing about it.

Joe:

Very much appreciate you`re knowledge and curtsy. Wow, just like that, in one sentence you answered an 8 years nagging question.

I believe you, but for a layman (for my understanding) trading is trading. ALL trading should be zero sum. Why does trading STOCKS/BONDS have better odds? Why is it different? I don`t get it, .

Hi Khairye. I hope you got my response to the pm you sent me. So, I don't have a lot of experience on this as at the moment is a hobby with hopes to become another income in the future (that's why I'm learning and sharing here when I know the answer to something). My view is that you cannot do this if you don't like it a bit. It may be really boring, but it has some cool stuffs to. The thing here is, you are moving money, so a mistake is going tu hurt your wallet and/or your future if you are gambling your savings and you are not thinking before you act.

Forex and the Stock market are indeed different markets with different goals. In Forex (Foreign Exchange), you trade currency in pairs. You are buying/selling dollars, euros, pounds, etc, and they are valued relatively to others (USD/EUR, USD/YPY, GBP/USD, etc). That's mostly the description. So, you sell when your currency is up relatively to another, and you buy when is cheap. It is a market that moves trillions, is highly sensitive to political events, speculation, economic new, etc. The variations are small so need to put some money to make a difference. You need to understand a lot of world economic, how countries are managed, all related to the currencies you will trade.

The stock market is different because there are many instruments that behave differently and have other goals. You can do the same (buy/sell, obtain gains or losses) doing day trading, or you can hold those for the future. You cannot do this in forex because that's not the goal. Lets put some examples regarding the US market (you have a lot of markets to trade, NYSE, Nasdaq, london, tokyo, frankfurt, etc).

Bonds: Is a piece of paper (not anymore, it's all virtual) that says: "I'm worth XXX dollars that will be paid on XX/XX/XXXX. During that time, I will pay an interest of xx% every x months". Depending the issuer, the rate/conditions/probability of not getting paid. For example, you may find bonds from the US Treasury, an State, a private company. Once the initial offer is completed, they can be traded in the secondary market. You may have one that is trading today at 100 USD, it goes up at 110 USD and you sell it to have that profit. If you want, you can do this all day with the variations and do the same as forex.

Stocks: Imagine a company being divided into multiple pieces, like.. a million of them. They say, every piece will trade (IPO, Initial Public Offering) at 20 USD. They go, they collect that money like the bond, and then you can buy or sell the stock depending on how well/poor the company is doing. They need to present quarterly balances to show how they are doing, if you have enough stocks you can actually run the company, have someone in the board of directors, etc. If they make large profits, the can share this with the stockholders. This is known as dividends. Of course, you can sell/buy and profit for the difference between them, or just keep it and sell it years later at a higher price (if the company has grown).

You have more instruments like mutual funds, etfs, options, futures, etc. Every one of them becomes more complicated with their own behavior.. you may want to just buy/sell them, or have another strategy (like buying for the long run/retirement). There are millions of book/videos/sites regarding this, so you just need to read regarding this and see if you find it interesting and what to be part of that world.

In my experience, seeing how argentina was doing (and I was right at least so far) and other personal experiences, showed me that I needed to act. I started to become more aware of the need of protecting my money to stop losing due to inflation, devaluation, etc. Having in a future savings if I need them for something (medical bills, buying a house, launching a full scale attack to my enemies (?), getting fired), or just for retirement. I then started to read about argentina's economy, what do reserves mean, why we have inflation, how can I protect my hard-earned money, etc.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for. I do hope this will shed some light on your questions. If something doesnt make sense just let me know, as you may have noticed from my writing, I'm not a native speaker so sometimes I have a way of expressing myself that is not the way I want to.

Regards,
Chris

Chris:

Wow, thanks a million for your forth coming generosity with your wealth of knowledge.
I am going to read this over and over to comprehend and learn, before I ask anymore questions.

Many, many many thanks.

The reason I drifted into Forex was that, after 65 years working and planning to retire on my savings interest, they just pulled the rug with no warning. I ended up with ZERO interest (so ridiculous ... may be 1% if I lock money for 3 to 5 years).

As a retired amateur (with no previous career trading), I got curious and gradually I got up to my ears addicted for 8 years online, sometimes furious and rogue, (to the extent that I never had time to address my perma-tourist status for 8 years).

I tried so hard TECHNICAL TRADING of one pair EUR/USD (since I had no interest in or knowledge of FUNDAMENTAL analysis of companies/stocks/bonds). My personal naive thought was that all trading is the same, be it Forex or stocks/bonds, But Joe just told me that it ain`t so, and that the odds are not good (only better than Vegas). So no more Forex trading.

I understood the explanation of contado liquidacion. It is pure TRADING, and trading is legal. I am wondering if I can use it to wire myself my monthly expenses at the Blue Rate (Buy in Canada & sell in Argentina, a stock that is listed in both Canada and Argentina). It sounds genius, simple and legal, but I never had experience buying or selling stocks before. Never dealt with a broker before. Do I have 2 have 2 brokers: 1 in Toronto and 1 in BsAs?. How do I go about it?

I tried so hard TECHNICAL TRADING of one pair EUR/USD (since I had no interest in or knowledge of FUNDAMENTAL analysis of companies/stocks/bonds). My personal naive theory was that day trading EUR/USD is the same as trading any other pair or even stocks/bonds), But Joe just told me that it ain`t so, and that the odds are not good (only better than Vegas). So no more Forex trading.

Doing business in the stock market or in forex requires commitment, study, research.. is not so easy. Anyone can setup an account and start trading in a few days, but is like soccer. Anyone can play it, but can you become the next messi? Well, you don't need to become a multimillionarIE or the best in the field, but if it were that easy to make money easy and fast, everyone would be filling their pockets and this is not true. Most of the people that starts here end up losing because it is hard to see your account going down and in the desperation of thinking they made a huge mistake, they sell too quick without controlling themselves or putting a goal in their mind about how to react and were to sell. For me, accepting I know very little about the market helps me not trying stupid things without reading first.

I understood the explanation of contado liquidacion. It is pure TRADING, and trading is legal. I am wondering if I can use it to wire myself my monthly expenses at the Blue Rate (Buy in Canada & sell in Argentina, a stock that is listed in both Canada and Argentina). It sounds genius, simple and legal, but I never had experience buying or selling stocks before. Never dealt with a broker before. Do I have 2 have 2 brokers: 1 in Toronto and 1 in BsAs?. How do I go about it?

Yes, that's the idea. Let me see because I think I wrote something in this forum regarding contado con liqui (Here). The only problem with your setup is that I believe Argentina doesn't have anything trading in Canada, everything is in the US stock market (I'm actually really sure There isn't anything in Canada, but who knows). In case this is true, you will need a brokerage account in the US and a bank account there. Both things are really easy to get, but not online (unless you are from the US or are physically there to open the account like I did). Not sure if being from Canada will help as both countries have other rules between them, but for the rest, they usually require a SSN if you try to do it online (this changed after the patriotic due to 9/11). Perhaps you can transfer stocks from canada (that are trading there and in the US) to the US broker, sell it and buy a stock that is trading in Arg-US, and then transfer one more time to Argentina to sell it and have pesos, but I think it will be a little complicated and expensive.

Back