Free or Cheap Spanish Classes in BA

davonz said:
I took classes at Lenguas Vivas that were for 3 months, 3 hours a day, 4 days a week - AR$100 for the whole course - however it is downtown.

That's the one my friends took. Apparently at one point it was free (2005 maybe?) b/c of some type of grant but in later years, it was a small fee.

I believe it's not easy to get in to the classes and you need to register early.

La Fleur said:
Your friend was right - you can enrol for 'spanish for foreigners' classes for free at a local school (take a photocopy of your passport along when you enrol). All students are asked to pay a voluntary contribution. At my local school the suggested amount was 10 pesos per month, but the foreigners who had more, generally donated more. I live in a different area, but I suggest you just go for a walk around your neighbourhood and look for a local school. Then ask about classes. If that school doesn't have them, they will be able to tell you the nearest school that does have them. The school I attended was a primary school that has an adult session at night, so don't restrict yourself to secondary schools.

Good luck.

I walked by a high school yesterday a few streets away and they said they didn't have anything like that, and to try the big high school that's on Luis Maria Campos (I think at Maure). Does anyone know of high schools (or primary schools) in the Las Cañitas/Palermo/Belgrano area that offer this kind of thing? Or a website with the listings for these classes... cheers!

shoush said:
hey! i would love more details??? where are the classes? is it at a school? or in his house? really need to improve my spanish!!!!!!!

The teacher is Damian, he is amazing. I have classes in the evenings (4 hours a week) on Mondays and Weds. If you contact him he will be able to find your level and find a class for you for your availability. I would recommend him to everyone. The classes are really fun, grammar based but with lots of practice so not solely for conversation (but you can have that with anyone here) His classroom/institute is Santa Fe and San justo de Oro so super convenient for most (buses and subte super close)
If you want to email him I have put his details are below but if you let him know Sarah Terry (me) gave you his details then he will know how you got the address. (This isnt for any purpose other than letting him know I put you in touch and gave his email address out)
Damian Lara BA LANGUAGE ([email protected])

Hope to see you in class
Sarah

sarahpterry said:
Hi, I go to classes that are really cheap. Its a group class of about 3 people. There is a deal where you pay $400 ARS for 40 hours. If you are looking for free classes this is not the place but cheap, very good, professional and small group classes this is definitely great. I have been with the teacher a while now and he is a great teacher. PM me if you would like more details.
Sarah

Sorry people I got mixed up with the various exchange rates. I actually pay $220 USD for 40 hours. For me this is still super great value and Damian's teaching is well worth it.

davonz said:
I took classes at Lenguas Vivas that were for 3 months, 3 hours a day, 4 days a week - AR$100 for the whole course - however it is downtown.

hey! i was visiting their website, but had a hard time finding the registration! is it better to go directly there??? is it hard to get in as people say?

Yes you have to go there to register. You need to go to find out when the intake is, and then the day of the registration, and wait in line, maybe an hour or so, and go early.

If you go, please let me know the next intake as i am thinking of doing the next level..

I'm going to go tomorrow morning! Thanks for the info and I'll definitely let you know the registration dates!

Hello I went to UBA downtown last week and got the information about the fee and schedule. I only asked for intensive classes.

Classes offer 2 hrs per day. 4 days per week/ Monday-Thursday. duration 2 months total of 64 hours. Classes start from 9am-4pm
9-11 am/ 11am-1pm and 2pm-4pm
Next schedule will start on May 10th but must come on May 8 or 9 for registration and take placement test
@Cost 2630 peso per student with out DNI and 1710 peso with DNI (foreigner with DNI)
@Each class offer 64 hrs

Vbkk said:
Hello I went to UBA downtown last week and got the information about the fee and schedule. I only asked for intensive classes.

Classes offer 2 hrs per day. 4 days per week/ Monday-Thursday. duration 2 months total of 64 hours. Classes start from 9am-4pm
9-11 am/ 11am-1pm and 2pm-4pm
Next schedule will start on May 10th but must come on May 8 or 9 for registration and take placement test
@Cost 2630 peso per student with out DNI and 1710 peso with DNI (foreigner with DNI)
@Each class offer 64 hrs

That's a very good rate. I've never taken a class at UBA, but other posters have commented on the quality and professionalism of their classes.

To the OP, if your budget is that tight, remember there are many ways you can develop your Spanish without spending a dime (especially if you already have a grammatical foundation to build from.) First of all, MAKE the boyfriend talk to you in Spanish every day (or if he won't, strategically place yourself around people who will.) Do his parents speak English? If not, start socializing with them more. Read an article from Clarin every day. Start keeping a vocab list of all the new words you pick up from print, TV, and conversation. Watch Spanish-language TV with subtitles. If you're pro-active, it's almost impossible not to acquire a language you're surrounded by 24/7.

Back