Frequent Flyer Award Costs.

John Doe

Registered
I received a frequent flyer award from a major EEUU airline for a return ticket from EZE to SFO (San Francisco, California) . The ticket to go to EEUU cost US$100.00 in taxes and whatever and the return to Argentina ticket cost US$5.00. The costs seem to be the same with all carriers.
It's useless trying to contact an airline for the answer as to why one flight is 20X the other.
I'm wondering why the difference is so great?

Thanks, Serafina. It sure took you you long enough to answer.

Aren't there taxes in the U.S.?

It's not exactly airport taxes such as it is extra taxes on travel, here. When you buy a ticket leaving from Buenos Aires you are paying Argentina-specific taxes, which are very high. The US, as an origin, doesn't load you up with as many taxes and fees and such as they do here.

Award ticket cash costs even on the same route can vary according to the programme being used.

I have about 500,000 miles possible to be used in rewards.

Hardly ever use it as the dates and cities I wanna travel NEVER seem to be available.

There are a number of fees and or taxes that may be applied to an award ticket depending on where you are flying and the airline frequent flyer program you are using. Some fees are imposed based on the arrival location , while others may be based on the departure location. You should be able to look at the ticket/receipt itself to see an enumerated list of the individual fees/taxes that are being applied for your destination.

Here is a list of the general fees/taxes associated with a Delta Airlines award ticket that you can use as a point of reference. Some are mandatory and are imposed regardless of the airline, while others are imposed at the discretion of the airline.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/planning-a-trip/booking-information/fare-classes-and-tickets/taxes-and-fees.html

Back