from london to buenos aires

jelia

Registered
Hi,

I am a 23 yo girl from London, and will be moving to ba in august for at least 6 months for an internship in the human rights field. The position is unpaid though, so I was wondering what sort of work was available for expats on a part time basis? ( I plan on saving as much as poss before moving)
By way of background, I have a law degree and speak fluent spanish and french. Are teaching jobs hard to come by (without a tefl certificate?) Is there a market for french teachers?? I also have waitressing/bartending experience- is it possible to find a decent paying job in a restaurant/bar? Lastly, I am trying to get an idea of how much I would need to save, is 400 pounds a month a reasonable budget, for a room in a shared flat+ expenses, either in palermo or san telmo??

Thanks!

Jelia

Hey Jelia,

I've got a TEFL cert and still can't find work here - well, not for a salary that I could live on. Your best bet for casual jobs with your language skills are hotels, where you can earn triple what they pay at Berlitz or International House (English schools).

If you're not working and you can find a house-share, you'll just about get by on GBP400 - though you won't have much of a social life. eg. going to see a live band here can cost up to GBP100 (Coldplay, Radiohead, Franz Ferdinand, Metallica and Juan Luis Guerra all being recent examples of that).

San Telmo is cheaper than Palermo and funkier (though I'm biased in favour of San Telmo because it's where I live!), though Palermo is more relaxed and cleaner.

Good luck and have fun when you get here.
:)
Al

If you are looking for a shared apartment (much like what you can find in www.compartodepto.com) 400 pounds is plenty. And it is easier for a woman to find roommates (women usually prefer women, men can deal with both :)).
I would say you can get nice shared flats by ~400 dollars.

And if you are willing to share with more people and have less space, it can get as low as 300 dollars.

I have to agree that £400 is just about enough - and i NEVER go out or eat out. But it still isn't enough to really do anything fun. Sorry. Prices just seem to keep going up and up and up. Not wanting to be negative though, its really worth it! If you can find some kind of job to fill the gap.

Hey, thanks for the responses. Well I'm definitely looking for a shared room, and hopefully will be able to up my budget to 500/550 pounds a month (2800 ARS). In terms of neighbourhoods, any thought on Almagro/ Las Canitas?

Thanks again!

Jelia

jelia said:
Hey, thanks for the responses. Well I'm definitely looking for a shared room, and hopefully will be able to up my budget to 500/550 pounds a month (2800 ARS). In terms of neighbourhoods, any thought on Almagro/ Las Canitas?

Thanks again!

Jelia

Hi Jeila. As Lucas said, definitely Las Canitas between those 2.
What I still dont understand is how does anyone stand to live in San Telmo having such cleaner and cheaper options such as Belgrano or Nuñez or so many other good neighbourhoods.
Regarding getting a job here. An american friend of mine just got a sweet job doing marketing analysis for an IT company and her salary is around 4K ARS a month (not bad at all).

I could try to help you get a job but the thing is that its only for 6 months. If you were planning to stay for longer it would be easier.

Cheers,
Pablo.

Yeah I agree with HolyCow, San Telmo is not a barrio you'd want to live in. Unless of course it's close to your internship. How many hours are you gonna do the internship? Don't expect to earn much from any temporary jobs. Living in a shared apartment is probably a must if you're on a tight budget.

jelia said:

Jelia

a shared room you should get for about 250-300 U$ (1000-1200 ARS) .. all higher prices are "cash up the gringo". Las Canitas is more expensive as Palermo/Recoleta. In Almagro you can get the same for much lower price.

Small estudios (1 room apartments about 25m2) are mostly cheaper and you could get that kind of apartments for about 400 U$ (1600 ARS). For 1 bedroom apartments (about 40m2) you should invest about 650U$+ (2550+ ARS) so near to your budget.

bye alex

Back