From Miami to Buenos Aires by sea with dog?

zingara

Registered
New to this blog and delighted to have found it.
30+ years living in USA and finally seems that I will be able to return to Argentina next year. I researched enough to be by now convinced that moving personal effects to Argentina is too expensive and troublesome. But I still have plenty that I would like to take with me (including my husband and my dog). So I hope some of you will have the time and experience to recommend a shipping company in USA.
Did anyone travel in a cargo ship with a dog?
Thank you ... This is definitely going to be an adventure (only way to think about it and don't go crazy).

Hi Zingara!
I moved from Miami to Buenos Aires 5 months ago with my dogs. My stuff traveled fine through Argenshipping and my dogs travelled with me on the plane.
Good luck and congrats on your decision.

Thanks renania58.
If you don't mind sharing: did your dogs travel with the checked luggage? I am sooooo scared about my dog being alone in the dark of the luggage compartment ///
Did you have problems with Argentinian customs? I am from Argentina but after 30 years abroad I feel foreigner everywhere. I will check the company you recommend (thank you for sharing).

I don't want to make a recommendation, but several clients I know have used a company called Aerocargas Argentinas SA, they have offices in Buenos Aires, and in Miami. I have very little experience with them, but from what I know they are serious.

Back in 2003 when I moved here (with my dog), I enquired about this possibility (coming on a boat with the dog). It was more expensive than the plane (don't remember how much was asked though) but then, to fly a dog on Air France (whatever the size), it was a fixed fee of 300 Euros that changed the very same month I came here to live (new price was 3.000 Euros... But I got somehow lucky and still paid 300, lol).

My guess is : if you come here by boat, you won't be allowed to keep the dog with you, he will have to spend his time in a cage and you'll be able to see him a few times a day (he'll be allowed to go outside his cage for some time also). That's a point to consider (Miami -> BA = 7 or 8 days on the sea ? No clue).

If your dog is short nosed (pug, bulldog, etc.) then flying him is not advised at all.

Since you mentionned "too expensive", you don't really need a company to ship your dog, you can DIY (still good to compare the costs though).

Some dogs handle well the plane trip, some others don't and they'll change a bit forever (what happened to mine).

Thank you French jurist. We already gave up on moving by boat. Way too long for our dog and expensive. COPA and DELTA accept pets in the cabin. They do have height restrictions ... now should we have a surgeon shorten our dog's leggs? She is too tall.
Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We'll figure it out. We have time.
Regards from South Florida.

Back