Frustrating Job Search

Julieta0317

Registered
I'm bilingual, currently employed in USA and trying to find a decent job in BA. I have sent my resume to sooooo many places to no avail. I know how my lifestyle will be affected by moving to BA, I was horn there and I visit often, it's time to say adios to Dallas and hola BA, but I really want to get a job. I have a BBA in Finance and 10+ years of experience working for very reputable banks, and yes, I'm bilingual but that doesn't seem to help much. Is it the salary requirement that is killing me? I hate how you have to pick a number when you send your resume, what's up with that? How about negotiable? Is that ever an option? This had been going on for over a year!!!

It seems like it would be best to make connections in BA directly in person though it's a gamble.

I'm planning a trip in July, hopefully I can make the rounds. I've been so lucky in US where I have been able to pick my job... Not the same there. Do they have head hunters?

Hi Julieta, it seems maybe that it could be more helpful for you if you could connect with other Argentine born multinationals who have already made the transition back here.
I could suggest a group who have monthly meet ups but for some reason they are not allowed to post here about it. They are a group made up of mainly American & Europeans who where born here but where brought up in various other countries...I'm one of them. I have found that they can be very helpful sometimes. You could look them up in facebook they go under the name of ba Life. Maybe it's worth it to contact them. Your reasons for moving back here may or may not be the same as other Americans moving here, it's a big change & there are many pros & cons as you'd already be aware, only time will tell if you want to live here long or short term. Basically, job & economy aside, ultimately the question will be - can you be happy here or not? Will this place give you back more than it takes? You'll need time. I'm pretty happy here now after 5 years but I still find some things highly irritating, especially banking & services in general, but have learned to adapt accordingly. If you truly want to be here, you'll find a way, just not always exactly like you planned. Best of luck to you in your decisions. :)

I'm bilingual, currently employed in USA and trying to find a decent job in BA. I have sent my resume to sooooo many places to no avail. I know how my lifestyle will be affected by moving to BA, I was horn there and I visit often, it's time to say adios to Dallas and hola BA, but I really want to get a job. I have a BBA in Finance and 10+ years of experience working for very reputable banks, and yes, I'm bilingual but that doesn't seem to help much. Is it the salary requirement that is killing me? I hate how you have to pick a number when you send your resume, what's up with that? How about negotiable? Is that ever an option? This had been going on for over a year!!!

But Dallas is #13 on this list and BsAs is #106.

http://www.businessinsider.com/iese-smartest-cities-in-motion-index-2014-5#ixzz31osWZm7P

Are you sure you know what you're doing?

PS- Are you in DALLAS Dallas? Or Garland? Grapevine? Ennis? North Richland Hills? Hurst Euless Bedford? Arlington? Frisco? Or even Ft. Worth? People tend to throw "Dallas" around because they don't think that anyone's ever heard of anywhere else in the Metroplex.

I live in Richardson but work in Dallas. I like Texas, it's impossible to argue against the booming economics of Dallas, but I grew up in BsAs and I miss the big city lifestyle, which is hard to find in Dallas. I could move to big city in US but I think I would have to live pay check to pay check in NY or San Francisco, that is why BA starts to make lots of sense. I know it will not be easy.

If you can keep clients (whatever that could entail) and work remotely from BsAs, then that would be the ideal option.

Then, once here, you could work your way into something based here. (If you still found that you wanted too.)

You might want to ask your family in Argentina to start asking their friends, etc in order to get a job. This is a horrible year down here for job hunting btw. Use LinkedIn, it is powerful. You probably know this, but in BA you will be tighter with money than in the US...so I am not sure why you think NY, SF or any large US city is tougher. If you are single and with no commitments, unless you have close family and friends down here, or need cheap health insurance, it just does not make sense to me to make the move - imho.

I would agree with Nikad, you won't be paid nearly as much for the same work here as you would in the US, or many other countries for that matter. Unless of course you work remote, in which case you could live a fairly carefree living by earning dollars, euros, etc... from work abroad.

This is a special city in many ways so I can understand the appeal of moving here from Dallas. But understand that it can be gritty and unforgiving sometimes.

The best option for you might be to come to BsAs for an "extended vacation," perhaps for several months, get a feel for the place, the atmosphere, and build connections, then decide if it's a right fit.

Also, never give an expected salary on job applications. Often that is a question used to filter out individuals who expect too much and their resume is never even looked at. If you have to write something say you expect to be paid the standard salary the company budgets for that position.

Despite the economic challenges the country is currently experiencing, jobs can still be found, but I think it's very difficult to find work when you are not in the country. Perhaps it is best if you visit, get a feel for the city, and then decide on whether to commit to staying for an extended period of time.

http://careers.chevron.com/global_operations/country_operations/argentina/default.aspx

Back