Fun Betting Pool: When will the next crisis hit Argentina?

MorganF said:
Hey Amargo --

I'm sorry for offending you. I wasn't trying at all to make fun of it. I spent my life savings buying real estate in Argentina, I'm married to an Argie and have lots of family in Arg - my family and I will be hurt significantly by the upcoming crisis. I didn't mean to make fun of it at all. I'm sorry for having given you that impression.

PS: I wish I had enough money to be one of those rich expats that goes to Isabel every weekend and lives the good life in Argentina, immune to the crises here! I wish your implicit criticism (that I'm a rich expat yuppie) were true, because I wouldn't mind having the luxury and money in the bank to support that lifestyle.

My apologies,
morgan

Why would you make a "fun" thread about such an issue then? It's really in very poor taste.

Oh, enough with the sanctimonious whining. I call mid December of this year, and stipulate that it's not a crisis until there's fatal rioting.

I definitely have poor taste in humor, that's been demonstrated many times!

Betting on something (and enjoying it!) doesn't mean you want that outcome, you support it, nor that it's a good thing. For example: my friends and I often bet on which couples, featured in the wedding section (including our friends!) are, upon marriage, most likely to get divorced. I enjoy making these bets every Sunday. This prediction does NOT mean that I think they should get divorced nor that divorce is a good thing nor that I'm advocating it nor that I support it. Enjoying betting on something does not mean that you support the outcome. A lighter example: if I'm a Boca fan, and Boca plays River - and I bet that River will win the game because they have a better team these days (and I enjoy this betting and predicting), that doesn't mean I like the fact that River will win, nor does it mean that I think it's a good thing.

My opinion is: the world is seriously messed up. Human nature is insane. Crazy bad stuff happens all the time--including to me. We have two choices, while we try hard to improve it: we can cry and be depressed (while trying to improve it) or we can just laugh at life and its ridiculousness and try to enjoy it as best we can (also while trying to improve it). I'm definitely in the second camp (and, of course, I try hard to improve things for everyone else: it's just a question of my attitude while I do that; I don't want to be depressed!).

My apologies again. Is there a way for me to change the subject name of this thread? The name was probably too overboard, I'm sorry. I'm new here and I definitely didn't mean to offend.

morgan

MorganF said:

Betting on something (and enjoying it!) doesn't mean you want that outcome, you support it, nor that it's a good thing. For example: my friends and I often bet on which couples, featured in the wedding section (including our friends!) are, upon marriage, most likely to get divorced. I enjoy making these bets every Sunday. This prediction does NOT mean that I think they should get divorced nor that divorce is a good thing nor that I'm advocating it nor that I support it. Enjoying betting on something does not mean that you support the outcome. A lighter example: if I'm a Boca fan, and Boca plays River - and I bet that River will win the game because they have a better team these days (and I enjoy this betting and predicting), that doesn't mean I like the fact that River will win, nor does it mean that I think it's a good thing.

My opinion is: the world is seriously messed up. Human nature is insane. Crazy bad stuff happens all the time--including to me. We have two choices, while we try hard to improve it: we can cry and be depressed (while trying to improve it) or we can just laugh at life and its ridiculousness and try to enjoy it as best we can. I'm definitely in the second camp (and, of course, I try hard to improve things for everyone else: it's just a question of my attitude while I do that; I don't want to be depressed!).

My apologies again. Is there a way for me to change the subject name of this thread? The name was probably too overboard, I'm sorry. I'm new here and I definitely didn't mean to offend.

morgan

I'd have thought all that would be obvious, only a sociopath would actually WANT a crisis. Apologize to the peanut gallery if you like, Morgan, but to those who insist on being offended I say shame on you! If you absolutely must be miserable rather than humorous about the many tragic realities we all must face sooner or later, kindly save it for your therapist.

CedarPawn said:
I'd have thought all that would be obvious, only a sociopath would actually WANT a crisis. Apologize to the peanut gallery if you like, Morgan, but to those who insist on being offended I say shame on you! If you absolutely must be miserable rather than humorous about the many tragic realities we all must face sooner or later, kindly save it for your therapist.

Please. Talk about sanctimonious! Hypocrite much?

Contrary to your own belief, your opinion does not hold more value than other people's.

Amargo said:
This post is pathetic. A crisis would hit hard those who don't have much, not those yuppie expats living in Palermo. It is sad that someone tries to make fun of it.

You have nobody to blame but your own society. What else has to happen before you all wake up and realize that the same shit, same policies, and the same radical politicians are going to have the same results.

Kind of hard NOT to make fun of somebody shooting themselves in the head over and over and over and over and over....and over and over and over

EDIT: and over and over and over

MorganF said:

My opinion is: the world is seriously messed up. Human nature is insane. Crazy bad stuff happens all the time--including to me. We have two choices, while we try hard to improve it: we can cry and be depressed (while trying to improve it) or we can just laugh at life and its ridiculousness and try to enjoy it as best we can (also while trying to improve it). I'm definitely in the second camp (and, of course, I try hard to improve things for everyone else: it's just a question of my attitude while I do that; I don't want to be depressed!).

morgan

Morgan, don't give into those whack jobs and don't apologize!! They do nothing but bitch at everything that would even suggest that the K's do anything but shit golden nuggets.

It's something that has been talked about on this forum numerous times and nothing new...I'm willing to put up 500 dollars to whomever is the closest!

Morgan
Your sincerity and sweetness shines through in your posts and although this one may have been a tad naive it's clear your heart is in the right place ...many are thinking what you dared to poist and Im sure 2012, July or not is on the nail.
Hugs from a fellow naif..boy have I put my foot in it a few times on this site!
F

fifs and marksoc. Why not use this as a teaching moment to hi-light why it would be more disastrous than the quickly boiling frog policies you have now? I'm not being glib I'm quite serious.

I'm an expat and I have the ultimate luxury of escape, most Argentines don't. So tell me in human terms if you've got so much skin in the game why isn't 28/4/11 your answer?

mini said:
Please. Talk about sanctimonious! Hypocrite much?

Contrary to your own belief, your opinion does not hold more value than other people's.

Opinions derive value from truth (not the mouth from whence they issue) so, yes, in this case my opinion has higher value than, say, yours.

Wagging a finger at innocent fun is sanctimonious, defending said innocent fun from a pack of internet do-gooders is not.

While we're on the subject, let's address hypocrisy - Are you one of the poor Argentines on whose behalf you take such offence? Not likely, you're on an expat forum via computer. Perhaps you're a philanthropist, to have so thouroughly attained the moral high ground. If so, surely you'd be out actually helping someone, rather than convincing yourself what a worthwhile human being you are by protesting something as inconsequential as this. Who is the hypocrite here?

Back