FYI- Children-residents-travel

Eclair said:
The passport must be acquired with both parents present and is the official travel document and ID. Sometimes notarized permission is needed (in Argentina definitely and in the US occasionally if suspicions are raised) if the parent is traveling alone with the child.

When I was a child I traveled with my mother alone and she never needed a bunch of extra documents, birth certificates, or permission forms. I suppose as with everything, extra bureaucracy has taken over.

There are probably some rare cases where one of the parents leaves with the child, but often times even in those cases it's with the other parent's consent. They say they're leaving for 2 weeks, and it turns out that they never planned to come back causing an international dispute. :rolleyes:

I don't believe any child leaving the US with only 1 parent can leave without a notarized permission from the other parent. That is fairly common across all countries to prevent children from being kidnapped by a parent or to prevent child trafficking.

I'm going to be travelling alone with my son in August -- does anyone know if there is a standard letter that we just get notarised by an escribano or should our escribano know what we need to say (and is it as basic as an I, [name of parent] authorise my spouse [name of parent] to travel on X Y dates with our child [name] ... etc etc etc)

Any escribano should know what you need to say in the letter.

syngirl said:
I'm going to be travelling alone with my son in August -- does anyone know if there is a standard letter that we just get notarised by an escribano or should our escribano know what we need to say (and is it as basic as an I, [name of parent] authorise my spouse [name of parent] to travel on X Y dates with our child [name] ... etc etc etc)

Citizenship of child?
http://www.embassyofargentina.us/v2011/es/consulares/tramites/veniasdeviaje/principal.htm

http://www.embassyofargentina.us/v2011/es/consulares/tramites/files/formulario070816.doc

We had to do that for my sister-in-law to travel from Argentina to her home county of Paraguay. They changed the law in December of last year - previously there was no problem with a person with travel authorization leaving the country to return to their own home, but now any minor who has residency here must have an Argentine permission to leave the country as well as any other permission that may have been given in the home country for travel.

The escribano knew exactly what was needed.

dennisr said:

Child is dual Argentine-Canadian citizen, emailed the embassy yesterday and they said I needed the letter not just for leaving Argentina but that I might also be asked to present it in Canada. So will have to pay for a translation as well.... grr.

Another Q:

How long is the letter valid? Do you have to get a new one each time you travel or can it have extended validity? thx

Back