FYI: Snow in Mendoza

mini

Registered
Joined
Apr 7, 2008
Messages
2,375
Likes
438
Hummm... might be time for a visit. Do you think it will stick?
 

John.St

Registered
Joined
Jul 18, 2009
Messages
1,908
Likes
996
mini said:
Hummm... might be time for a visit. Do you think it will stick?
Grazie said:
Any photos? please? :)
Yep - got a few, among them a nice one of a muñeca de nieve con su nariz hecho de zanahoria (snow doll w/ genuine carrot nose) and one with a Mendocina muñeca next to it- most of it melted in less than two hours, same as in May 2007.
 

Attachments

  • BILD0117.JPG
    BILD0117.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 16
  • BILD0118.JPG
    BILD0118.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 23
  • BILD0120.JPG
    BILD0120.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 20

Napoleon

Registered
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
3,156
Likes
1,550
If Mendoza got any of the storm that BsAs got on Monday/Tuesday, the ski mountains around it must be covered with white stuff.

I assumed that it snowed in Mendoza every year because of it's elevation. I'm guessing that I was wrong.
 

John.St

Registered
Joined
Jul 18, 2009
Messages
1,908
Likes
996
Napoleon said:
If Mendoza got any of the storm that BsAs got on Monday/Tuesday, the ski mountains around it must be covered with white stuff.

I assumed that it snowed in Mendoza every year because of it's elevation. I'm guessing that I was wrong.
No storm last week.

Two weeks ago we experienced an instance of the most common winter storm, 'El Zonda' which is very special in that it is air coming over Cordilleras los Andes from Chile, on the way over the high mountains loosing all humidity and then, when the cold air is "rolling" down the mountains, gain a lot of heat and - this time - raised the temperature from 13-14 C (57 F) to 23-24C (75 F) within an hour.

The official elevation of Mendoza (cuidad) is around 745 meter (= 2440 ft) and in town we have 1-3 days of snow every 2 or 3 years - but lots of snow in the mountains, of course.
 

mendozanow

Registered
Joined
Mar 3, 2009
Messages
473
Likes
106
Terrible year for skiing. Penitentes is open (Vallecitos no) but little snow and not worth it.

Have lived here two years, only a couple of flakes last year in Mnedoza, and even in 2007 did not get the blanket BA got. The snow a few weeks ago was really unusual, kids were making snowmen for the first time in their lives.
 

soulskier

Registered
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
902
Likes
124
Excellent coverage in southern Mendoza province at Las Leñas. On that note, anyone want to buy some land?
 

John.St

Registered
Joined
Jul 18, 2009
Messages
1,908
Likes
996
mendozanow said:
Terrible year for skiing. Penitentes is open (Vallecitos no) but little snow and not worth it.

Have lived here two years, only a couple of flakes last year in Mnedoza, and even in 2007 did not get the blanket BA got. The snow a few weeks ago was really unusual, kids were making snowmen for the first time in their lives.
Not just the kids

john-st-albums-blighter-himself-picture78-mua-eca-de-nieve-y-mua-eca-mendocina-frente-cafa-del-pasaje.jpg


If you live in ciudad, I'm sure you know the place.

I remember the snow in May 2007 - 1 cm surviving for an hour or so.
 

Napoleon

Registered
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
3,156
Likes
1,550
Her jacket says "Cute". That's, well...

I would eat at her cafe.

If/when I make it to Mendoza, I hope that it's NOT snowing. (I plan to go late spring to early fall.)

-The Guy Who Could Run For Office On His Ego
(actual numbers & test scores be damned!)
 
Top